RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

Kirk Precision brought Back to the Future

Finally brought a 1988 Kirk Precision back to the future and here's the result. Rides almost as nice as my Look 595 which was a complete shock as everyone said they ride like crap. Other than a bit of flex in the headtube area, 300 miles later all I can really say negatively about it, is that it's a bit heavy and dead when climbing, but then for a training bike, that's what I want in a way!

Anyway, downtube shifter bosses and hump have been machined off and STI stops riveted to the downtube in their place. Mudguard eyelets on rear dropouts smoothed out as have the hand pump flanges on the rear triangle. Dropout inserts have also been machined back 2mm to handle 130mm hubs.

The only issue still to be resolved is that it came with a plastic rear mech hanger which fits around the dropout and rubs on the cassette lockring. There's room for the chain on the smallest sprocket, but the alloy hanger these frames also came with would fix this problem as they were only bolted from the outside, not the inside too like my plastic one.

Original alloy hanger

Later plastic hanger wraps around dropout

Anyone know anywhere that might still stock the alloy mech hangers and other spares for these frames? Old dusty bike shops that used to sell the frames are problably my best bet perhaps? I've rang around some local shops, but no luck yet. Other than spending 100 to get one machined, i'm not sure what else I could use?

RoadBikeReview Member

Superb.

Seeing that old frame with new Record on it made me laugh. Looks good. I liked these frames, never owned one. Good on yer!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    It sure gets attention, although not much laughter yet? Many think i'm nuts though : )

Considering i've just come off a road season riding a 5K Look 595 which doesn't bat an eyelid, the same equipment on an 80 Kirk frame and everyone wants a chat about it!

RoadBikeReview Member

It did make me chuckle for some reason.

All that said I have been thinking about dumping some modern chorus I have on an old Alan Record frame I've got my eye on, same gig really.

I really like that bike, I'd probably have repainted it in a brighter colour.

I have my eye open for a Kirk too. I gather some had problems with the b/b? I guess with outboard bearings a non issue.

DannyBoy.

Lexicon Devil
    Let's see some more photos, especially some side-profile ones.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Looks good

I am surprised that it doesnt look too out of place 20 years later. How is the weight? total bike must be around 20lbs or slightly less?

Hope it doesnt catch on fire while you ride it (Magnesium)!