Wood Badge NE VI-1

Thumbs up Let's talk big Fujis

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum. I am a current member of bikeforum.net.
    I have three 67.5cm Fujis (c-c) which have VALite framing.
    I have just ordered, received, and applied replacement decals to two of the Fujis; the Sagres.
    I do roads/packed-trails only and have no front derailleur on any of the three Fujis.
    I have amassed some info on Ishiwata and am always looking for more.
    Would like to hear from the community.

"It's alive!"
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverstuff
    Hi,
    I have just ordered, received, and applied replacement decals to two of the Fujis; the Sagres.
    I do roads/packed-trails only and have no front derailleur on any of the three Fujis.
    Hiya Jim!

Welcome aboard! You've already heard everything I know about these bikes, so we'll let someone else talk...

- FBB
    "Cycloculture" - A Journal for Real-World Bicyclists
    http://cycloculture.blogspot.com/

Unlabeled

I'm interested in big Fuji's

Hi,
    I've been looking to buy and build up a big frame Fuji. Does you Sagres and 685 have forged dropouts? I'm surprised at the 10.5 and 11 kg weights for the bikes. This seems very low for a bike this size. Do you know the weight of the frame, fork and headset? I really don't care if my finished bike weighs 29 lbs, I'm just curious. Do you mind disclosing what you paid for these?
    Lugged Steel Treks

"It's alive!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds531
    I've been looking to buy and build up a big frame Fuji. Does you Sagres and 685 have forged dropouts? I'm surprised at the 10.5 and 11 kg weights for the bikes. This seems very low for a bike this size. Do you know the weight of the frame, fork and headset? I really don't care if my finished bike weighs 29 lbs, I'm just curious. Do you mind disclosing what you paid for these?
    All the Valite Fujis I have seen have had forged dropouts, Suntour, if memory serves.

And you can build the 27" frame bikes up, generally speaking, in the 27lb range without going to extremes. You could hit 25lb, but you'd have to work it. I wish I had a good frame/fork weight for you, but I don't.

- FBB

Wood Badge NE VI-1
    Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds531
    Not sure about the dropouts; only one of the Sagres has a derailleur hanger built-in. I think the weight is due to the VALite tubing (supplied by Ishiwata) used in these bikes. They're not for sale, but, the black Fuji (frameset) cost me $83 plus shipping; the 685 (whole) cost me $150 plus shipping; the Chicago Fuji (whole) cost me $46 and a college buddy in Chicago did the local pickup and ship for me. I think I stole them - what do you think??

Wood Badge NE VI-1
    Quote Originally Posted by fbagatelleblack
    You could hit 25lb, but you'd have to work it. - FBB
    Especially my black Fuji and Chicago Fuji, without any accessories did come out very low.
    Attend! Neither bike has a front derailleur, shifter, or front shift cable set; no small chainring exists - only the 52T main. The black Fuji has 32 spoke Campy wheels front & rear; the Chicago Fuji has a Mavic front wheel.
    Did you say something about ". . . have to work it."

"It's alive!"
    I think the weight is due to the VALite tubing (supplied by Ishiwata) used in these bikes.
    The quad-butted Valite frames are pretty darn light relative to other mid-range frames of the same vintage. Sure, they're not Columbus SL light, but they are a whole lot lighter than gaspipe.

BTW, Jim, have I already shown you this link on Bicycle Restoration?

http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/ishiwata/page-02.jpg

The EXO-V is Ishiwata's house-brandname for Valite. They were pioneers in producing high quality seamed tubing, both cro-moly and cro-vandium. They were able to take advantage of the greatly improved potential for creating varied wall-thickness in seamed tubing vs. seamless. They valite was chrome vandium.

Hope this helps.

- FBB

Wood Badge NE VI-1
    Quote Originally Posted by fbagatelleblack
    The EXO-V is Ishiwata's house-brandname for Valite. - FBB
    Thanks for the link between EXO-V and VALite. How did you come by that tidbit? Jim

"It's alive!"
    Thanks for the link between EXO-V and VALite. How did you come by that tidbit? Jim
    Someone posted the link either here or at the iBOB group:

http://www.bikelist.org/mailman/listinfo/internet-bob

- FBB

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    I don't have a big Fuji yet, but I have my eye on one. If all goes well I'll be purchasing a 27" Fuji Royale. It's in fair condition. A bit of rust on the headset and missing the front brake. From what I've read Fuji is a well made bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by David M Cox
    I don't have a big Fuji yet, but I have my eye on one. If all goes well I'll be purchasing a 27" Fuji Royale. It's in fair condition. A bit of rust on the headset and missing the front brake. From what I've read Fuji is a well made bike.
    I think you'll like the Royale, I've got one I bought brand new in '79, rarely rode it until a couple years ago. Looks almost new, excellent original paint job. Converted to S.S., it looks great with Nitto mustache bars. No braze ons, so it looks clean without major work or repainting.
    Cheers,
    Kevin

Wood Badge NE VI-1

Exclamation

... I have my eye on one. If all goes well I'll be purchasing a 27" Fuji Royale. ... From what I've read Fuji is a well made bike.
    Make sure it's made in Japan, not Taiwan!

"It's alive!"
    I lusted after the 27" frame Fuji Royale at Hendrickson's Bikes in Santa Barbara all through the summer of 1980. I saved my money from my job washing dishes, but when the summer was over and I had to go back to boarding school, I only had enough money for a Fuji Sports 12. The Royale would have been nicer, and I recently resto-modded a Fuji Del Rey with the same frame (I think), but MAN OH MAN I rode the wheels off of the Sports 12 for decades. It's sitting in my sister's basement now. I keep thinking of having her ship it to me so I can fix it up.

Buy the Royale. It will be a great bike. Just don't buy any Fuji made between 1990 and 2000.

Yours,

FBB

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the tip. How can I tell if it's made in Japan?

"It's alive!"
    I think all the lugged Fujis were made in Japan, although I might be wrong here. Is it lugged?

- FBB

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    1990-2000. Are those the Taiwan manufacture years?
    I'm can't believe how hard it is to find large frames. It takes patience, that's for sure. I have a 27" Schwinn Traveler (made in Japan) and it's a nice ride. I'm interested to see how the Royale compares.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    I read somewhere that manufacturing shifted to Taiwan at some point. Now sure when.
    The frame is lugged and looks to be finely crafted.

Wood Badge NE VI-1
    It will say, "MADE IN JAPAN" on the head badge; the head badge will be riveted on, not a sticker. Some have a decal low on the seat tube, claiming "MADE IN TAIWAN".
    If the head badge doesn't say anything about Japan, or it's a sticker, probably made in Taiwan.
    Photos below
    Last edited by beaverstuff; 07-29-2006 at 10:28 AM. Reason: add more

Wood Badge NE VI-1
    head badge examples:
    Attached Images Attached Images    

"It's alive!"
    1990-2000.
    I expect they still have some bikes made in Taiwan, but quality was really, really horrible in Fujis made during those years (roughly). Then the brandname got sold, and I here quality is much better now.

- FBB
    No. Cal. Fuji Rep. - 1994