Thread: Libertas???

RoadBikeReview Member

Libertas???

Hello All. I found a Libertas "Compatition" bicycle at Goodwill for next to nothing. It looks old and has some very nice lugwork. Anyone ever heard of them?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious."

Vince Lombardi

Incredibly slow
    Feb 2005
    I remember seeing them in the 70s and 80s in Colorado, during the "10-speed" boom. They seemed to be fairly nice bikes, but I can't recall prices relative to other bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The lug work looks nicer then my 72 Gitane TDF but the components look simular. Mafic Brakes, Huret rear (is newer). but the bars and the stem are much nicer then came on the tdf. well for 8 dollars.. I don't think I could go wrong.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious."

Vince Lombardi

RoadBikeReview Member

Libertas

Quote Originally Posted by csrussell
    Hello All. I found a Libertas "Compatition" bicycle at Goodwill for next to nothing. It looks old and has some very nice lugwork. Anyone ever heard of them?
    I believe it's a Belgium brand. Don't see them around anymore though.
    And goodnight to the street sweepers, the night watchmen flame keepers, and goodnight to Mathilda, too.

banned
    A friend of mine brought back a high-end Libertas from Belgium in the 60's. It's a Belgian bike brand. His was all Campagnolo, Reynolds 531, probably Prugnat lugs, or Nervex lugs. High flange Campy hubs, Mafac centerpull brakes. That's the way ALL the high end Euro bikes were set up pretty much. The Italian bikes used Columbus tubing, and the French bikes used Simplex derailleurs, Stronglight cranks, Normandy hubs.