RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Looking for an old stem: 1" Syncros quill

Hey y'all, I'm trying to spice up my 97 lemond chambery, which has a 1" threaded fork. I'm going to install a King 1"' 2nut headset and would like to find someone that would be willing to let go of a Syncros 1" quill stem in a 100mm length, 26.0 clamp size. I've seen some on eBay recently but they're all 110 and longer. The rise should be parallel to the ground when installed - whatever that equates to in +/- degrees.

I'd also be interested in something from ControlTech if available, too. I've scoured all the parts boxes at local shops and google'd myself to death...time to reach out to the masses.

Thanks for the help, tips, advice.

Mike

banned
    It won't help you but I have a Syncros in a 140mm. Back when quill stems were plentiful, Ritchey, Syncros, Control Tech and Bontrager were the cat's meow for high end road stems. Google a little bit more and maybe you'll score. Or look at larger shops across the country... Yellow Jersey in Madison, Richardson Bike Mart in Dallas, Turin in Chicago, Bicycles Inc in Euless, Ben's in Milwaukee for a start.

Old, slow, and fat.
    I don't have mine any more. Musta sold it. I know I HAD one...

Sorry

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for the bike shop leads, I'll start calling this afternoon.

Kuma, that's exactly what I'm looking for, but that auction has ended.

thanks!!

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton
    Thanks for the bike shop leads, I'll start calling this afternoon.

Kuma, that's exactly what I'm looking for, but that auction has ended.

thanks!!

but it didn't sell, so email the guy... or first flight has the same exact one for $20 more

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    but it didn't sell, so email the guy... or first flight has the same exact one for $20 more
    Yeah, I did email the guy a couple days ago as he has several 110mm syncros stems, said he'd get back to me - haven't heard back yet. It looked to me like it did sell, but I'm not sure.

Who/where is First Flight?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    OK, I found FirstFlight - looks like they have what I'm looking for, but only in a -17deg angle. Now to figure out how much of a drop from parallel that will be when on the bike...

old school drop out
    OK, I found FirstFlight - looks like they have what I'm looking for, but only in a -17deg angle. Now to figure out how much of a drop from parallel that will be when on the bike...
    -17 is parallel to the ground (with a 73 degree head tube angle). The next size available is a 0 degree stem, which forms a 90 degree angle with the head tube (so there will be about +17 degrees of rise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Talking

Most excellent!! Thanks laffeaux!

TWB8s, Michael (with the dreads) at Richardson Bike Mart has what I'm looking for in a ControlTech - even better than the Syncros as it's made in the USA.

Thanks guys for all of the help!!

banned
    Most excellent!! Thanks laffeaux!

TWB8s, Michael (with the dreads) at Richardson Bike Mart has what I'm looking for in a ControlTech - even better than the Syncros as it's made in the USA.

Thanks guys for all of the help!!

Don't be hating the Canucks! But they've been through worse. Syncros had a material supply problem when the 1st Iraq invasion occurred. It seems the material for their posts was the same as what was used in the Patriot Missile System so Customs wouldn't allow the export of the materials.

As far as picking one over another, for me it would come down to price or availability. Glad to be a help.