angel of the morning

Malvern Star 'Sovereign Star' - vintage Dura Ace too

this 'lil baby is hanging in the shop window here downunder and still waiting to be ridden. The earlier issued '5 Star's' are much sought after and this is kinda like Malvern Star's swan song issue from the 70's and a limited edition. Nice big stamped/pressed sovereign on the seat tube and what i think is 1st gen. dura ace bits 'cept for the very fancy SR royale seat post. Way cool Fujita saddle. Sorry for the crappy pics but the owner was in a grumbly mood and I knew what the answer would have been if I had asked to take it outside to take some pics.

I like it a lot but don't have the coins .... who knows. Most of all the "flamboyant" paint just rocks and whilst the lug lining is a little rough the lugwork and finish is pretty good. NOS but it has a little patina from hanging in the shop window all these years > sun.

anyway's - check it out.

ciao
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Malvern Star 'Sovereign Star' - vintage Dura Ace too-star1.jpg   Malvern Star 'Sovereign Star' - vintage Dura Ace too-star2.jpg   Malvern Star 'Sovereign Star' - vintage Dura Ace too-star3.jpg   Malvern Star 'Sovereign Star' - vintage Dura Ace too-star4.jpg   Malvern Star 'Sovereign Star' - vintage Dura Ace too-star5.jpg  

Malvern Star 'Sovereign Star' - vintage Dura Ace too-star6.jpg   Malvern Star 'Sovereign Star' - vintage Dura Ace too-star7.jpg   Malvern Star 'Sovereign Star' - vintage Dura Ace too-star8.jpg   Malvern Star 'Sovereign Star' - vintage Dura Ace too-star9.jpg  
    Last edited by Spirito; 11-12-2004 at 11:25 PM.
    I watched him walking in and it was like they say, you know, he kind of glowed. Like a ray of light was around him. A kind of Jesus. - Spirito (interviewing Spirito)

angel of the morning

Royal Star by Ron Bates (Hurstville, Sydney)

same shop also has a track frame by the late Ron Bates. Hard to explain but I just love it. Ron's grandson still runs the Bates shop although it's all modern import only stuff.

Not many of these around and from talking to his grandson it apears that Ron made only about 10-20 frames in any given year.

again sorry for the crappy pics - they don't really convey the subtle beauty and wonderful patina.

ciao
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Malvern Star 'Sovereign Star' - vintage Dura Ace too-bates1.jpg   Malvern Star 'Sovereign Star' - vintage Dura Ace too-bates2.jpg   Malvern Star 'Sovereign Star' - vintage Dura Ace too-bates3.jpg   Malvern Star 'Sovereign Star' - vintage Dura Ace too-bates4.jpg  
    Last edited by Spirito; 11-12-2004 at 07:42 PM.
    I watched him walking in and it was like they say, you know, he kind of glowed. Like a ray of light was around him. A kind of Jesus. - Spirito (interviewing Spirito)

angel of the morning

if Carlton - Raleigh is your scene .....

a few NOS bikes just waiting to be loved. Mostly low end but lotsa cool eye candy and what some may call "gaspipe" never looked as pretty (oh ... there's an Aussie speedwell in there too).

for a few example's of Aussie beauties the 2 below are about now making their way to buyer's in the US - the Super Elliot paintwork is indeed delicious.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....tem=7112162934

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....tem=7111980412

and the below link has more Aussie bikes and our great man Oppy.

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Aus.../Australia.htm

ciao
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Malvern Star 'Sovereign Star' - vintage Dura Ace too-hanging1.jpg   Malvern Star 'Sovereign Star' - vintage Dura Ace too-hanging2.jpg   Malvern Star 'Sovereign Star' - vintage Dura Ace too-hanging3.jpg   Malvern Star 'Sovereign Star' - vintage Dura Ace too-hanging4.jpg  
    Last edited by Spirito; 11-12-2004 at 08:19 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Are these all in one shop?

If so, it's a shop I'd consider pretty cool but I have to wonder if he gets much traffic. Here in my neck of SE Fla there's a little shop with NOS bikes from the 80s and a glass cabinet full of friction shifting derailleurs and non-integrated brake sets, even has a 5ft high stack of sew-up rims. I poke around and spend a few dollars but not many others do though.

angel of the morning

yes, all in the same shop

Perhaps the only larger store left in Sydney with a few interesting and to my eyes beautiful bikes of an older era. They do seem to be doing it tough and I recently noticed their 2 full time mechanics are no longer there. Back in the mid/late 80's I recall walking in there with wide eyes and with lustful intent, it seemed like something of a cyclists paradise. I had bought a Vitus there in 1986 and to me it seemed the hottest bike in the world - I guess all the vintage bikes that I posted pics of above seemed old hat and out of date and it's funny now that I feel so glad to see them.

ciao

toomanybikes
    Funny thing is even my 10 year old daughter looked at these pictures last night and oohed and aahed over the bikes.

Maybe some taste is rubbing off on her and there is hope for her future bike desires!!

She loved the D/A downtube shifters, now if I could get her to react like that when she sees Campy!!

In the flats...broke
    you like those old SR seatposts?
    with measurements, or just flutes?
    I thought I was the only one who liked those...
    ...but I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I was just Texan.
    -Lance