RoadBikeReview Member

Mavic Open Pro rims in citron gold color

There was recently an ebay auction by an ebay seller in France or Belgium that was selling a nice set of Mavic Open Pro 36 hole clincher rims in a "citron" color. In the picture it kind of looked like a clear yellow but not quite gold hue. They didn't sell. I had some regret after the fact, since I have a set of 1980's bullseye hubs that I think might match up.
    Anyway, when the rims didn't sell I started looking around for those same rims. I don't come up with anything on Google, or ebay or anywhere else.
    I did find some MTB rims by Mavic that are in a color called Citron but negative on the Open Pro's.
    Reading the other active thread about the gold Salsa Flip-Offs made me realize I'm probably not crazy for seeking out these interesting rims.
    Can somebody hook me up with a source? Thanks.

Chili hed & old bike fixr
    They were standard issue on some Fuji bikes, they might still have some. There is a trace of green in the color that makes them not quite Gold.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks, I have a local bikeshop that is both a Fuji dealer as well as a Mavic dealer. Maybe they can source some for me. The reason I didn't go for the ebay ones was because they were coming from France and the shipping was kind of high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bad news, I just checked with my local dealer and he said the citron colored rims have been discontinued for several years. I guess this would be an elusive one to look for on ebay.

NeoRetroGrouch
    Quote Originally Posted by bullseyehubrider
    Bad news, I just checked with my local dealer and he said the citron colored rims have been discontinued for several years. I guess this would be an elusive one to look for on ebay.
    They were popular for a year or two. Sort of like avocado refrigerators.

C'dale also sold them. Watch eBay for 'gold' with Coda hubs. Here is a set for wayyy too much $.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAVIC-OPEN-pro-w...QQcmdZViewItem

TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    390 bucks? What the ??

I seem to remember this wheelset was one of those Nashbar super sales that you see on the back page of their catalog. They were clearing them out for like 199$ per pair. Now some dude wants $390 for a used set?

BTW the gold color shown in these rims appears almost orange. The "Citron" ones I'm talking about are like yellow with a hint of green (like somebody else said).

RoadBikeReview Member

Looking for another color Mavic rim

I've got a similar situation. I'm looking for a Mavic Open Pro rim in an unusual color, a dark gray with a bluish tint -- almost titanium in appearance. I've got a set of wheels with these rims, and they originally came on a Celeste green Bianchi Allora from the late 1990s. I'd like to find one more rim in that color so I could have it made up with a fixe/SS hub. That way I could swap rear rims on that bike to make it a fixe relatively simply (it has downtube shifters and regular brake levers). I don't think Mavic makes these rims any more, although they sort of resemble some of the CD rims I have seen. Mine aren't labeled CD anywhere so I don't think that's what they are.