RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Is a Merlin Extralight considered a "classic" yet?

Like the title says, trying to sell mine, but I'm not sure if I have it too high..

Is it a classic? Or just an old Ti bike?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is a Merlin Extralight considered a "classic" yet?-008.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    What size and how much?

More pics and info would help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    How old is it?
    In the context of Ti bikes, it could be considered a classic as it does not look like the newest TI bikes out there, but with older bikes in general, it might be still considered too new by some collectors to be called such. I'd be hesitant myself to call any bike that was made later than say, 1992(ish) a classic..... but then it's just my subjective, personal opinion.....
    Now if that was a Titan Teledyne Ti bike from the 70's, then calling it a "classic" will be OK for most collectors and C&V riders.....

Chombi

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    It may not be old enough to be vintage, but an Extralight is classic in my opinion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    What size and how much?

More pics and info would help.
    I'm asking $1400 right now.. I've only had low ball offers $700 and $900 with out even seeing the bike. I saw a frame only just go on ebay for $1075.. Frame and fork! So I figure the complete bike is worth more.

Here's more pics.. I won't be offended if you think I'm crazy, I'm just trying to figure out the right price to let it go for. Oh, size 58cm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is a Merlin Extralight considered a "classic" yet?-014.jpg   Is a Merlin Extralight considered a "classic" yet?-013.jpg   Is a Merlin Extralight considered a "classic" yet?-012.jpg   Is a Merlin Extralight considered a "classic" yet?-011.jpg   Is a Merlin Extralight considered a "classic" yet?-010.jpg  

Is a Merlin Extralight considered a "classic" yet?-009.jpg   Is a Merlin Extralight considered a "classic" yet?-008.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    If the fit is right for you I can't understand why you want to sell it - this is a great ride! Beautiful bike!

Got a lot of positive things going on here.

58 is my size! :-)
    Ti frame with carbon fork is timeless and a great combo.
    Bike looks like its in new/perfect shape.
    Ultegra is a very good group.

For $1400.00 it should sell in a heart beat!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think it's a classy looking bike once made by a classy act before the AGB group bought them and Litespeed and QuintanaRoo. Is it a classic or vintage bike yet? No, but it's worth $1,400 easily from the shape it appears to be in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks guys!

Unlabeled
    carbon fork, ergo bars, brifters = not a classic but it is a really nice bike
    Lugged Steel Treks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Not a classic but give it 5-10 more years and it will be. That's a beaut, I'd love to have one

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    That's a classic titanium bike IMO. Why are you selling it? I have an old 1999 Litespeed I ride all the time. I'll never sell it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Does it have the pressed in BB? If so the price is much to high.

If not, it's all the money. the used Ti market is very soft right now.
    It's a great bike, designed way ahead of it's time and rides like a dream.

they just don't sell, and if it's a pressed in BB they become a hard sell.
    It all comes down to rule 5!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Threaded BB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Beautiful bike you have there. I've lusted after Merlins since I first them in the late 80s. Not vintage, but undoubtedly a classic in my book.

RoadBikeReview Member
    When you say it is a size 58, do you mean seat tube center to center?

To my old eyes, that looks much smaller than a 58 CTC on the seat tube. Did you mean top tube measurements? Did you mean center of BB to top of seat tube?

Please clarify.

Regardless, in my humble opinion, an Extralight does not qualify as a classic, but $1400 does seem like a fair price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It must be one of the first extra-lights. When did they start using seat collars instead of welding on a binder? I think the original Merlins came with an aluminum fork, "Kinesis" seems to ring a bell. What's "Classic"? 1" threaded headset, down tube shifter bosses. I'd say classic frame, but not classic parts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Those are nice. I used to have one. Your parts kit won't help your price. You essentially are selling a frame and stem since mid-level older parts are just that.

Velocipediologist
    classic

Roadbike Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by CurbDestroyer View Post
    It must be one of the first extra-lights. When did they start using seat collars instead of welding on a binder? I think the original Merlins came with an aluminum fork, "Kinesis" seems to ring a bell. What's "Classic"? 1" threaded headset, down tube shifter bosses. I'd say classic frame, but not classic parts.
    I have a 1999. It came with the same fork and Tom Kellogg markings, but it has a seat collar and it does not have down tube bosses, just brazed cable guides. This one is pre 1999 but maybe only by a year or two. Much earlier and there were no Extralights.

I'm still racking up high mileage on mine. It's a beautiful ride
    "It's supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to push this button. "
    John Brunner (Stand on Zanzibar)