RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

My 86 Trek 500 with 2010 components

This is the 86 Trek 500 I bought a few months ago.
    It came with Shimano 600 components.
    Since I have always been an avid MTB'r and wanted to get into road cycling, I bought this bike for $200, from a guy on Craigslist who races bikes and rebuilds them for a hobby.

Since being a MTB'r, I enjoyed the index shifting over friction shifting, I decided to do an updated conversion using new parts.
    This is my first bike build, so give me some slack. I do however take constructive criticism.
    Bike rides like a dream.
    I am still looking for a yellow saddle.

SRAM 9 speed cassette
    Truvativ compact crank 50/36 with GXP BB
    SRAM 9 speed chain
    Shimano 105 front and rear derailleur
    ITM 1-1/8" stem
    Colnago 42 bars oversized 31.8
    Forte brifters
    Fizik micro bar tape
    Jagwire cables
    Maddux F40 aero wheelset
    Forte pro+ tires ( have the Conti 4000s twin pack on order from PBK)

Heres some pics. Hope it works, they were too big to upload.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18956493@N02/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well done.
    I saw a werewolf drinking a piña colada at Trader Vic's, his hair was perfect. (Warren Zevon)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks Great!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003
    Looks great. I have a 1983 613 with a full 10 speed centaur group. The old steel frames weren't meant for 10 speed. If I stand on a climb, I can get the back end to move enough to shift gears. Other than that it is a sweet ride.

Badger
    That looks unbelievably awesome. Really really well done.
    Do work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by strathconaman
    Looks great. I have a 1983 613 with a full 10 speed centaur group. The old steel frames weren't meant for 10 speed. If I stand on a climb, I can get the back end to move enough to shift gears. Other than that it is a sweet ride.
    For awhile I had 10 speed Centaur on my late '80's Reynolds 531P tubed Falcon (a fairly flexy tubeset) and never had that problem. I'm no flyweight at 170 lbs. and a fairly strong rider.

Methinks there are other "issues."
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Very nice. I really like it when people make the effort to keep and older bike/frame. Good job.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    For awhile I had 10 speed Centaur on my late '80's Reynolds 531P tubed Falcon (a fairly flexy tubeset) and never had that problem. I'm no flyweight at 170 lbs. and a fairly strong rider.

Methinks there are other "issues."
    The issue is the 613 has 44cm chainstays. The sprocket pitch is only 4.15mm, and getting the back end to move 2-3mm on a 30 year old frame with 44cm chainstays isn't a Herculean task.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Wow,
    Thanks guys.
    I thought for sure I was going to catch some grief for hacking up an old bike (eventhough no hacking was done).

I also want to get a new set of dual action brake calipers (the old Shimano 600s are still on there). What do you guys think, stay with silver or go black?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Looks great. Any idea on what the updates have done for weight? I think they were originally around 23 lbs back in the day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by strathconaman
    The issue is the 613 has 44cm chainstays. The sprocket pitch is only 4.15mm, and getting the back end to move 2-3mm on a 30 year old frame with 44cm chainstays isn't a Herculean task.
    Point absolutely taken. My Falcon has very short chainstays. And all things considered, I'm probably not "Herculean."
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nickillus
    Looks great. Any idea on what the updates have done for weight? I think they were originally around 23 lbs back in the day.

Just weighed it. Came in at #19.4, with watebottle cage, pedals, rear light, and pump mount.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tony597fitter
    Just weighed it. Came in at #19.4, with watebottle cage, pedals, rear light, and pump mount.
    Very nice. I have an '87 560 that I'm often tempted to update but since the original components are in great shape I just leave it alone. It's a great frame. Enjoy it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    What are your thoughts on the Maddux F40 Wheelset?

-Jake

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    how do you like the forte brifters?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    As far as the Maddux F40s, only time will tell. They seem to be a quality wheelset that is affordable and light. I came from a set of Mavic tubulars, so I wont be able to comment on them for awhile. They were cheap, straight and are VERY smooth.

As far as the Forte brifters, they are smooth and when I want to shift, they shift.

This bike is just a bike for me to do some miles on unltil I have saved enough to buy a nice Carbon Fibre next year.
    I am VERY happy with the way it turned out.