RoadBikeReview Member

My Mercian upgraded.

I've made a few changes to my Mercian and being a lovely winters day down here in NZ decided to try and take a few shots that not only showed the changes, but went some way into showing the really nice leaf green pearl and red pearl paint job.

Sadly I'm poor with a camera so the pix don't do the bike any justice at all, but are a little better than the ones I posted a year or so back.

It's a custom made Reynolds 753 frame and fork (57cm seat tube, 56cm top tube, 15cm head tube, 74/74 parallel) sporting full Campag Chorus.

I was using 8 speed downtube shifters converted to 10 speed along with C-Record brake levers. I have to say I'm an ergo convert and found the older brake levers narrow and uncomfortable to ride on, hence the change.

I had yellow conti's on the wheels but today went to some nice Veloflex Pave clinchers (23mm).

I love this bike. Fits and rides really well. It ain't light but I prefer it bto my featherweight carbon/Record bike.

Apologies for the gratuitous repost!

DannyBoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Mercian upgraded.-mercian-002.jpg   My Mercian upgraded.-mercian-005.jpg   My Mercian upgraded.-mercian-004.jpg   My Mercian upgraded.-mercian-006.jpg   My Mercian upgraded.-mercian-008.jpg  

toomanybikes
    Nice,

I just did a conversion this weekend as well.

Took my Coppi from DA 8 spd to Campy 10 speed.

Much nicer.

I always figured I would be the die-hard dt shift guy, I have gradually converted pretty much all of my bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Everything on that bike goes together. Purty!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ah, was just looking at that bike on another guys post - about to look uo Mr Hungary as I still want one!!! Sadly 10 speed ergo is the way to go for me (well that or older style Campag 8 ergo).

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Very nice and how do you like the Pave clinchers?
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow, that's a beauty! What year is that frame?

RoadBikeReview Member

Very nice

DB- Looking good. Only my 126mm bikes are still on dt shifters. The rest, I've gone the way of STI and Ergo. What bar tape are you using. That's a great ride.
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

RoadBikeReview Member

British style

Beautiful bike and I love the color scheme. You even ride the same frame size as me. In keeping with the British bike theme, here's a recent shot of my Bob Jackson World Tour set up for some light touring.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    As we say here in SoCal.......sweeeeeeeet!

Makes me long for my gone but not forgotten Bob Jackson 753. No, I didn't sell it. It broke!

Upside. That's the "why" I bought the Falcon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Pure class. I can feel a Mercian coming on.

We have met the enemy...
    That's an absolute classic ride, Danny Boy!

Mercians are looking good--what with the declining pound and all. I'd be tempted, but 'NO NEW BIKES' is the house rule until I finish renovations...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dave - The jury is still out on the Pave's. They look great and ride really well and are very light, that said they're hard to fit and I've had 4 punctures in about 500km's on one set. Mind you NZ roads aren't the best and it's been wet!

Fantino - The frame was custom built for me about 2yrs ago out of reynolds 753 (not much stock left). I had it built to the exact spec/colour as one I saw in an '81 Mercian catalogue, look here (there's a whole bunch of 'em);

http://www.merciancycles.com/history_cat_81.asp

Boneman - The tape is Fizik, can't recall what type.

Tarwheel2 - Nice bike, I'll visit Bob Jackson when I go home for a holiday in July. I feel the need for an Audax/light touring bike.

Thanks for the nice comments guys, I'm really liking how it looks right now. Was going for a spin today but my Colnago is ready for collection so guess I'll pick that up instead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Mercian upgraded.-81_full_king_of_mercia_racing.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Love the paint scheme. Is that green a metallic finish or a pearl finish? Really sparkles in the right light. Very nice build.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    I like what you did with this one even more than the Colnago! Everything fits together beautifully...Great work =)

Dropout
    Classy bike, as someone said. Dig the pinstriped lug outlines, and the saddle/tape match. I'd want a Mercian, except I already have one. :-)

RoadBikeReview Member

Thumbs up Looking good...

Always nice to see that bike.

Have you got plans for the DT shifters? I've been toying with the idea of putting them on my Tommasini, so if you'd like them to go to a good home...
    Have fun,
    Mike

RoadBikeReview Member

The jury is out on the d/t shifters.

Quote Originally Posted by Unica
    Always nice to see that bike.

Have you got plans for the DT shifters? I've been toying with the idea of putting them on my Tommasini, so if you'd like them to go to a good home...
    I really hate 'em, well actually it's more I hate the narrow non ergo brake hoods that you use in conjunction with d/t shifters, that said I guess they don't have much value and I'd kick myself for parting with them at some point in the future!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would keep the DT's. I have had them on and off my bikes a number of times, sold them on ebay, wished I didn't and had to buy new sets. They are fun to use! For brake levers I use Tektro or Cane Creek levers. They are the same thing and virtually the same shape as Campy Ergo. Very comfortable.

banned
    THe cane creek brake levers are pretty fat- they're really comfy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Got to agree with Danny. I did 45 miles on my Peugeot 753 last night - farthest I've been since I re-built it - and I must agree that the old style lever hoods leave much to be desired; and the Synchros are pretty akward these days. So unless it's for pure authenticity then I rekon Ergos are the way to go if the bike is on the road regularily.

off the back
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes
    Nice,

I just did a conversion this weekend as well.

Took my Coppi from DA 8 spd to Campy 10 speed.

Much nicer.

I always figured I would be the die-hard dt shift guy, I have gradually converted pretty much all of my bikes.
    Yep. When my Sirrus was my only bike, and brifters were just being introduced, I couldn't for the life of me understand the need for them, and figured down tube shifters wopuld always be good enough for me.

Now that I've got the Campy Chorus ten speed, I don't know how I ever got along without them.

Love the bike. Not too keen on the red tires though.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

off the back
    Quote Originally Posted by buck-50
    THe cane creek brake levers are pretty fat- they're really comfy.
    yes they are, and I don't understand why, as the Campy levers have to fit all the Ergo shifting hardware in there as well, and they're nice and skinny. Probably they use a cheaper plastic, and so need more of it to be strong.

I have them on my Sirrus, but I just can't feel comfy with them compared to my Campys, they just feel too bulky to my hands.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Love this bike! So classy.