Thread: My new Trek 660

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

My new Trek 660

http://picasaweb.google.com/11111394...71305/Trek660#

I just got this on ebay for pretty cheap. The paint is pretty rough, so a new paint job is planned. My question is, will it be bad to not use period correct decals? I can get the same exact decals from velo cal, but I really like the older style where the only one is a wrap decal on the seat tube. I'm not going a full restoration, as I'm thinking of putting a RX100 group on from the early 90s. This will be my first bike with downtube shifters!

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wvucyclist
    http://picasaweb.google.com/11111394...71305/Trek660#

I just got this on ebay for pretty cheap. The paint is pretty rough, so a new paint job is planned. My question is, will it be bad to not use period correct decals? I can get the same exact decals from velo cal, but I really like the older style where the only one is a wrap decal on the seat tube. I'm not going a full restoration, as I'm thinking of putting a RX100 group on from the early 90s. This will be my first bike with downtube shifters!

That looks like a great project...I wouldn't worry about period correct decals...Use whatever you want...

BTW, I love the RX100 group...it's bullet proof...
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    You'll enjoy that frame when restoration is completed. Post pictures when done.

duh...
    whatever scheme you want. I prefer the old panels as well, much more classic looking. iiwm, I'd match the color and decal of the older model

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    What you have there is one of Trek's best. I need another bike like a hole in the head but if I came across one of those in my size I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Reynolds 531, silver brazed, good geometry, lovely fork, I could go on.....

As good as anything out there built at that time and better than most. Doesn't have the "panache" of a similar vintage Colnago, De Rosa, etc. but folks must be realizing how good they are as the prices seem to be rising daily.

Great score!
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would recommend everybody to get the Red Zinger/Coors Classic video collection. There is a women's team riding steel Treks. They look very cool.