RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005

My old bike returns - How is a 7 speed PDG OS Paramount after modern carbon 10?

I am unfortunately routinely sucked into the dark world of handmade Italian carbon and click click click 10 speed Campy. The power of the dark side, you know.

But I've set my 853 commuter up as a touring bike and I rather like the steel ride.

Now my 105 7 speed 1993 PDG Schwinn fake (Tange Japanese) Paramount is coming home. I recall it being a very nice bicycle at the time. I'm thinking the frame is pretty decent, being oversize and with silver brazed cast lugs. Long by my current standards.

Wondering whether to leave it 7 speed or hang my extra (yeah, I shouldn't have such things) DuraAce 10 speed group on it. Normally I'd not have a moments hesitation, but the wheels with the DA group are marginal and the old 105 hubs are nicely 3x to Campy Omega rims, pretty nice wheels overall. I do have STI brifters on the Schwinn.

The goal would be to have a long distance tourer for myself and give the other to my wife so we can go on trips.

Then there's the aspect of leaving the Schwinn almost intact. It's pretty much stock, or at least I have the stock components including I suspect the original killer ass hatchet saddle. I would need to pop a triple on, and that might take a RD change. I see the 7 speed RD on ebay for cheapie.

I know, just ride it and see what it's like, but it isn't here, I'm thinking ahead, trying to remember the ride, noticing I treat my 10 speed like a 2 x 5 most of the time by shifting two cogs at a time.

Thoughts, harassment.

At least I'm not setting up my 531 monster with Fiammes and silks. Even if it is a beautiful bike carcass.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    IIRC that would be a series 5? I have a series 7, the purple Ultegra one from the same year. I turned mine into a fixie. It has the sloping dropouts to do it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    I don't remember the series. I don't need a fixie, I need another touring bike. I've got one on the small size my wife fits great! Has been gone long enough I can't recall the fittings. Probably has a cassette hub. The tandem I'm working on tonight has a freewheel hub. Bet I have a puller for it - I used to have them all!

I think I'll ride the Schwinn stock for a couple of weeks, if I like it, I'll figure things out. Riding the 7 speed tandem today suggests to me that running 3x7 wouldn't be a bad choice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They're nice riding steel frames. I've owned a couple (still do).

I think the Japanese versions were brass brazed, not silver.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Lexicon Devil
    I have a 1992 PDG Series 3 that I've outfitted with 8-speed Ultegra 600. Someday, it's getting a Campy Veloce group - the frame is deserving of it. It's the blue with red-speckled frame

Go ahead and update the frame with modern components, and please post pics!