Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    a real member's member

My Passion: Rebuilding Vintage Road Bikes

Here are some photos of some of my '70s and '80s rebuilds over the last few years. These first three are my keepers:

'76 motobécane grand record

'84 davidson challenge

with a carradice zipped roll. it allows me to grab lunch, a few groceries, or spare bike parts pretty easily.

'73 falcon san remo

my uncle bought the falcon new. it's the only bike i've had powder coated. i should take new pics of it, as i've replaced the aero levers with campy non-aero and also dressed it up a bit with black fizik tape.

the moto was my first road bike as an adult. it now serves as my grocery getter.

all three sport the same, homebuilt wheelset: vintage campy hubs on new sun m13ii rims with sapim race spokes.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Those are beautiful. Very nice work.

Just curious, what approximate size are they?

a real member's member
    '81 univega gran rally

'80 motobécane grand jubilé

'84 fuji club fuji

'83 nishiki international
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    Those are beautiful. Very nice work. Just curious, what approximate size are they?
    thanks. I ride 56-57. the grand record is a sport-touring bike that has a little longer top tube. even with a shorter cinelli stem, it's a bit too long for me.

the bars on my three keepers are all cinelli 64-38 bars, my faves.

RoadBikeReview Member
    well done.. I like it

a real member's member
    '75 centurion super lemans

'83 univega viva sport

'73 peugeot pr10

'80 peugeot pkn10

a real member's member
    another univega gran rally, this time from '80

'79 trek 930/938 (my first columbus sl frameset)

'80 trek 414

'84 univega sportour-s

a real member's member
    '79 sekai 4000

'81 mondia super, made of 531sl, the lightest steel tubing i think i've owned

'87 schwinn letour

'80 windsor touring elite, made of columbus sl/sp

there are several more, but these were my favorite bikes and pics.
    Last edited by blackfrancois; 09-13-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Huge in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    there are several more, but these were my favorite bikes and pics.
    Way to rub it in dude, way to rub it in. Seriously though very nice. I'm a Frank Black fan too...not sure if that is who your username nods to or not, not that it is relevant here but none the less am a fan of his and your bike collection too apparently.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

A wheelist
    Good grief. What a collection!! I had a Motobecane (bought new by me (in '74) - Mostly Campagnolo with a Stronglight crank. I'll bet that Falcon was built be Ernie Clements himself.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilders with motivation, information and resources.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    My Passion: Rebuilding Vintage Road Bikes-73_moto.jpgMy Passion: Rebuilding Vintage Road Bikes-gran-sport-63.jpgMy Passion: Rebuilding Vintage Road Bikes-marurishi.jpgMy Passion: Rebuilding Vintage Road Bikes-peugeot-.jpgMy Passion: Rebuilding Vintage Road Bikes-peugeot_76.jpgMy Passion: Rebuilding Vintage Road Bikes-tigra.jpg

Some Of Mine My Passion: Rebuilding Vintage Road Bikes-zeus.jpg

a real member's member
    ^ that first one, the moto, looks like a tall version of my '76 g.record.

for some reason, i'd guess it's a le champion, though.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    well done.. I like it
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by craiger_ny View Post
    I'm a Frank Black fan too...
    yeah, my id is kind of a play on frank black and françois truffaut. the avatar is from the film, 'the 400 blows,' when antoine feels pure joy in the centrifuge. i've seen frank black, the breeders, and the pixies a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Good grief. What a collection!!
    ha, yeah, well, i really wish i could've kept more of them. my first post shows my three keepers. i really like to wrench, rebuild, and pass on another bike to a new rider. i get a big kick out of turning people on to mid-level vintage bikes.

had a Motobecane (bought new by me (in '74) - Mostly Campagnolo with a Stronglight crank.
    that's the one thing mine is missing, and aficionados will notice the crank right away. it was my second build after the falcon. once i built and rode the falcon, i had to rebuild the moto in the same mold. so they're basically the same bike. the differences are the falcon is a little lighter in the rear stays and has a shorter top tube. the moto makes the perfect grocery getter.

I'll bet that Falcon was built be Ernie Clements himself.
    such a cool badge, eh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You've got some nice bikes there, but a coupla them are deserving of nicer brake lever hoods. I've found Campagnolo repo hoods at cycles de Oro for a good price, and while they aren't shown on the link they might be worth a call. Hillary Stone has them in gum, black and white, for what seems to be a fair price.

Hilary Stone Spare Parts Brakes

cycles de ORO's current in stock vintage stuff

Name:  brake hoods.jpg
Views: 1539
Size:  34.1 KB
    Too old to ride plastic

a real member's member
    ^ i agree.

a shop in town sells those nicer repro hoods for about $24. that's about $10 more than the dia-compe 204s i've been buying for nicer bikes.

on flips, i had been buying the ubiquitous cane creeks, but i really hate them. they're ugly and don't fit right on anything.

my three keepers now sport 204s. but the next time i retape the bars, i'll probably take your advice and upgrade to the more gum looking repros.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    It is a Grand Record.

What the Hell is going on
    i had been buying the ubiquitous cane creeks, but i really hate them. they're ugly and don't fit right on anything.
    I humbly disagree. I like the Cane Creeks because I have big hands. Those original non-aero brake levers feel like I'm holding a ruler when I ride and for that reason I have them on all my restorations that use aero cable routing (even on my Colnago Export with Campy C-Record).

+1 on the Sum M13ii rims. I tried to buy a purple pair directly from Sun when the internet was new (AOL and 56k modem) to match my purple splatter PDG Paramount.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

A wheelist
    "had a Motobecane (bought new by me in '74) - Mostly Campagnolo with a Stronglight crank."
    that's the one thing mine is missing, and aficionados will notice the crank right away.
    I remember now - mine was a Le Champion.

such a cool badge, eh.
    Oh for sure eh!!
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilders with motivation, information and resources.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    You've got some nice bikes there, but a coupla them are deserving of nicer brake lever hoods...
    for a new build with campy gs levers, i picked up some rustines at modernbike.com -- only $23 with free shipping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Great rides all, and particularly like the head badge, but why all levers placed so high on the bars? You must never ride in the hooks?

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Good thread revival. Nice bikes! I really enjoy giving new life to old classics as well. I currently have a Ciocc Columbus EL that I got with a lot of scrapes and a little rust. It came with pretty beat up Shimano 600 but I'm going to put a Chorus 8 speed group on it.

This is my Merckx Century that had really eaten up chrome (the pics don't do justice to how bad it was) and dinged up paint. I painted the fork and NDS chainstay, a lot of touch up paint and now one of my favorite bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Passion: Rebuilding Vintage Road Bikes-img_5919.jpg   My Passion: Rebuilding Vintage Road Bikes-img_6020.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    for a new build with campy gs levers, i picked up some rustines at modernbike.com -- only $23 with free shipping.
    Those Rustines are a good choice. Here's something that may interest you on second tier bikes, or as a stop-gap measure. Modolo hoods should fit non aero Campagnolo, Shimano and Grand Comp levers.

Modolo Gum Brake Hood lot - 6 pair of ''marginal'' condition non-anatomic for great price
    Too old to ride plastic

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    ... why all levers placed so high on the bars? You must never ride in the hooks?
    i ride on the hoods about 70 percent of the time probably.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    This is my Merckx Century... I painted the fork and NDS chainstay, a lot of touch up paint and now one of my favorite bikes.
    sweet.

i've had great success lately touching up three black frames. i use humbrol enamel in a little tin. from just a couple feet away, the paint looks great now. here's a recent one, an '80 shogun 600.

i put the honey fizik tape on four recent builds. feels better to me than leather, and it's only $20.

a real member's member
    a good deal. wish i had seen that yesterday.

i bought two sets of these dia compe 204 hoods earlier:

1pr DIA COMPE 204 & 202 traditional brake lever hoods brown non aero style | eBay

only $11/set shipped.

sorta absurd the best u.s. west coast price on those is from the u.k.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast