RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007

My Poor, Poor Bottechia

It was 1991, and I was rolling to a stop at a traffic light after a fast downhill; I was doing maybe 20mph. I was hit from behind at about 50mph, and I didn't know what hit me. I felt an impact, blacked out, and woke up about 50' from my previous location.

The first thing I noticed, looking up from the pavement, was my pride and joy underneath an S10 pickup, with a totalled front end. I weeped for my bike. I was covered with road rash, and glass was imbeded in my arms. Then I was nearly run over by a tandem semi-trailer. Not my day!

So, the windshield acted as an airbag for my body before tossing me across the highway. I was helped by bystanders, and eventually sent to the hospital via ambulance. They scrubbed glass out of my body for about and hour. Even with Demerol, I wept like a baby. The CAT scan checked out good (as good as before anyway), and I broke no bones. I had glass coming out of my arms for years afterwords, and I have plenty of beautiful road rash scars to this day.

Any way, the frame was deystroyed. The wheels shattered. I had Campy Chorus throughout, and I kid you not, nearly every component was broken or bent. I still don't know what happened to my shoes. I guess they flew off! Oh, and I wasn't wearing a helmet. Yeah I know, Dumb.

It's now 2009, and I pretty much gave up road riding/racing after that incident. I had been hit numerous times before, but that was the kicker. I still MTB, but now I'm thinking of getting back into the roadie scene. The bikes are so different now though.

I still can't part with the Bottechia. Maybe I'll make a sculpture out of it, or a lamp?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Poor, Poor Bottechia-bottechia-new.jpg   My Poor, Poor Bottechia-bottechia-021-new-2.jpg   My Poor, Poor Bottechia-bottechia-010-new.jpg   My Poor, Poor Bottechia-bottechia-011-new.jpg   My Poor, Poor Bottechia-bottechia-022-new.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    A beautiful bike with some extra curves in it. Bikes have changed a lot in terms of frame materials and design, technology put into the componentry... Still doesn't mean that the old steel bikes don't ride as smooth as ever.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage1989-62cm-Bottecchia-ColumbusSPX-12sp-Road-Racer_W0QQitemZ140334124034QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRoad _Bikes?hash=item20ac90cc02&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|293:1|294:50#ht_ 500wt_1182

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Wow....I can relate...I'd have a hard time parting with it too....

Wall art is my suggestion.....It's a great converation piece
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

duh...
    bt,dt

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey

Wall art is my suggestion.....It's a great converation piece
    +1 Hang that puppy up! Sorry about the frame...it was a sweet ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For the halibut...see what a local builder will quote for to fix. This frame has some emotional value...why not. I think it would be an equally great story to have it fixed and back on the road giving you smiles again. Otherwise...wall art.

banned
    Jul 2009
    For the halibut...see what a local builder will quote for to fix. This frame has some emotional value...why not. I think it would be an equally great story to have it fixed and back on the road giving you smiles again. Otherwise...wall art...
    You are right...
    such things are left for the walls. lolz
    anyway I am feeling very sad about it but can't give you any suggestion because I am so busy in my 70-298 dumps and 70-431 dumps exams...

RoadBikeReview Member

Wow, what a story.

Your lucky to be alive! That Bottechia is sweet, one of the higher end models. My dentist has one around your vintage but is void of chrome and probably a much heavier frame. Well, she took the greater part of the impact to save you from further harm. Wall art or lamp. She should be out in the open.
    As far as a new road bike, it should be the object of your desire. You know that most of us here are going to say STEEL!! At least ,that's what I would say. You can save so much buying used. I noticed the other day that the steel with chrome Cinelli Supercorsa list price is $2400 for frame & fork. You can get a fully built bike on ebay for half of that. If you want a frame with chrome and nice paint I would look to brands like Tommasini, Colnago, De Rosa, Eddy Merckx and many more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    A compentent framebuilder could probably fix that, but the cost would probably be astronomical, once you figure in re-chrome and the repaint. That pink color was so late 80s/early 90s... Sweet! I'd at least look into a fix, because no new bike is going to have the sentimental value of one of these.

brewster

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hard to tell from the photos but can't see any damage other than the seat stays - easy fix.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Bottechia

Two solutions, spent a lot of money, and maybe you can have it restored, or do as I did with a busted Giant composite, hang it in a tree. Bottechia made such pretty bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessism
    Hard to tell from the photos but can't see any damage other than the seat stays - easy fix.
    ........ and chain stays.

I would proudly display it!

Dave
    KC
    Forget the smile. Just give me the service!
    http://retrobikerestorations.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I'd hang that up on the wall. Beautiful frame, even in its mangled form. And you have a story to tell.

If you like steel bikes, there are some good off the shelf lugged frames avail like the Kona Kapu (I ride one) and Soma Stanyan. Some good TIG steel frames are Gunnar, Soma and Salsa.

Bikes are a whole new beast these days compared to 1991. But I have to say, that 1991 bikes will always be beautiful like your Bottecchia

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    It really only needs seatstays and seatstay bridge and is easily fixed - chroming would be expensive but why not just have it painted... In the UK replacing the seatstays and bridge and tracking the frame would probably cost about $150...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hilarystone
    It really only needs seatstays and seatstay bridge and is easily fixed - chroming would be expensive but why not just have it painted... In the UK replacing the seatstays and bridge and tracking the frame would probably cost about $150...
    Thanks for coming to the site, Hilary. If anyone has the knowledge to post here it's you!

We have met the enemy...
    +1 on the repair

In fact I can't really see anything wrong with the chainstays...maybe need straightening at the dropouts...

If repaired, you'd lose the chrome seatpost collar. But with that color scheme, if you painted just the back half and color matched the pink there and on the bottom bracket, I think it would look good, even if you had to redo the chainstays too

Or go crazy and do a pink to white fade that would give some of the visual lightness of the old chrome.

A good shop could do it--save the original front half & clear coat the lot if necessary
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    So what did the drive of the semi do for you? Wasn't there any litigation after this incident. I'm so sorry! It may have happened nearly 20 years ago but still stings like it was yesterday.

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    get a custom Tommasini, Colnago from eBay, or a custom steel frame. If the Bottechia fit get something that mimics the geometry.