Carless

New IRD 6 speed freewheels

I had noticed the freewheel on my newly acquired Bridgestone 600 was a bit loud when I got it, so I dripped some oil in it on its first service. Now about 100 miles latter its starting to get louder. I am going to lube it again tomorrow, but have been thinking about getting a new IRD Defiant 6 speed Freewheel. Just wondering if anyone here has tried one, or what people thought of them. Look to be decent and from a decent company.

Any input would be great!

-Nick

RoadBikeReview Member
    The IRD freewheels shift great and have a nice sound. They are durable and rather affordable too. I would say the are a good choice. Don't forget to get a new chain at the same time. The Wippermann Connex matches nicely. Good luck!

Unlabeled
    Quote Originally Posted by Trower View Post
    I had noticed the freewheel on my newly acquired Bridgestone 600 was a bit loud when I got it, so I dripped some oil in it on its first service. Now about 100 miles latter its starting to get louder. I am going to lube it again tomorrow, but have been thinking about getting a new IRD Defiant 6 speed Freewheel. Just wondering if anyone here has tried one, or what people thought of them. Look to be decent and from a decent company.

Any input would be great!

-Nick
    My experiences with IRD freewheels were generally not good. I've purchased 3 and only one was decent.
    After a few hundred miles the other two started making a bad sound every wheel rotation while freewheeling. It got worse until I could feel a drag ever wheel rotation. Problem went away when I put on a cheap Shimano freewheel and returned when I tried the second IRD, and went away again when I gave up on IRD. This was last year. The good freewheel from IRD I bought 2 years ago and it was nice, but didn't shift as well as Shimano or SRAM cassettes.

the experience made me sell my very nice freewheel wheels, Phil hubs and Mavic rims, and buy freehubs and cassettes which work great.

Google "IRD freewheel problems" and you'll get similar stories, including that Rivendell (where I bought mine) and Velo Orange quit selling them

Maybe maybe they have fixed the problem, but I'd buy from a place with a good return policy.
    Last edited by Reynolds531; 07-04-2011 at 06:32 AM.
    Lugged Steel Treks

RoadBikeReview Member
    For what I have heard they are making the generation III freewheel now which are much better. Another option would me a Sachs Maillard (Campy compatible) or an older (NOS) Dura-Ace or 600 freewheel. Those come in 6 speed too.

Unlabeled
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikes View Post
    For what I have heard they are making the generation III freewheel now which are much better. Another option would me a Sachs Maillard (Campy compatible) or an older (NOS) Dura-Ace or 600 freewheel. Those come in 6 speed too.
    I think that I had version III. Now there is a v IV. Riv and VO must have got fed up and not bought the latest IRD story that "we fixed it this time with version IV."

I think that v IV came out late last year. I'd recommend making certain that any one who buys one gets a v IV and makes sure that the vendor has a good return policy.
    Lugged Steel Treks