random user

nishiki royale circa 1982

I want to turn my very old road bike into a modern townie. I need some advice about changing wheel size from 27 1/4 to 700c and still having rim brakes. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderingfool
    I want to turn my very old road bike into a modern townie. I need some advice about changing wheel size from 27 1/4 to 700c and still having rim brakes. Any advice appreciated, thanks.
    You really need to measure with 700 wheels on the bike but most likely you'll need medium/long reach brakes... Nashbar, Tetko, and Shimano all sell them.

Some frames will allow you to switch and still use the exisiting brake but it depends on the particular frame and what clearances it has...

If you have a 700c wheel, put it in the fork and measure from the center of the brake mounting hole to the center of the rim. If that amount is greater than 49mm, you'll need medium/long reach

Once you get an accurate measurement, this is a good place to see what size you need.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brake-calipers.html
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

duh...
    why change?

Unlabeled
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderingfool
    If you can move the brake pads down by about 4 mm you will almost certainly be able to switch to 700c wheels with no other change. I've changed 3 bikes from 27" to 700c and never had to do anything except lower the brake pads and install the new wheels.

The new rear wheel might also have a wider axle "OLN". If the bike is steel you'll just need to spread the dropouts a little wider. If you make a big increase in width, like 120 mm to 130mm, you may need to have teh derailleur hanger re-aligned, especially if you use indexed shifting.
    Lugged Steel Treks