Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Post your American bikes here

30K views 92 replies 61 participants last post by  spookyload 
#1 ·
Moderators note: We are creating these threads for those that want to view bikes from a particular country...

This does not mean you cannot start a new thread with a picture of your favorite bike...

We're a lose bunch here and consider all vintage bikes special...Consider this thread a one stop shop of American bikes

#71 ·
Houdaille ExO Power Cam

I bought this through the mail in 1983 when they first came out. Now riding it again after an 18 year laps.
The bike has a cam mounted to the bottom bracket and the chainwheels float on the cranks. You can select to ride the cam or straight chainwheels. When on the cam the effort is more like a stair stepper. Great for steady riding like time trials, but not so good for sprints or climbs. I ride without the cam mostly.
Regards, Ray

#77 · (Edited)
This was a new one for me--I had seen the name on a list of California framebuilders from the 1970s.

I did a quick search in the Classic Rendezvous archive, and here is some information (and there is more information there)--the builder's name was Jim Holly, and he used to have a store of the same name in Santa Monica (Still under the same name it sounds like, but under new ownership), but he has since moved to New Zealand:
Holly was active from 1973 until the mid 80s, but still builds occasionally
(in NZ I suppose). His shop in Santa Monica was near Art Stump's and Stump
helped him with pointers and frame-building fixtures. He's mostly
self-taught and favored the style of Stella and the Italian builders of the
70s. He mentioned that Joe Bell has his old decals (hint to anyone
wondering what to do with theirs).

It seems he (or maybe the successor business) still has the order/build
sheet for my bike as he mentioned some special requests from the client.
(Anyone know what top-tube cable guides "a la Queley" might signify?)

Thank you Jim.
The Classic Rendezvous mail list has migrated to Google Groups--the sign up is on their splash page--you certainly could join and make a request for more information-from the comments, it sounds as if he was building 'Italianesque' bikes so I would suspect Columbus tubing and fairly tight geometry a la Masi...

Edit: not disappointed--the writer of the quoted email has pictures of his Griffon on his Wool Jersey page here

The Joe Bell mentioned in the message is still refinishing frames, & may still have replacement decals--worth a try.

Love to see some pictures...
Dean

#80 ·
1983 Trek 560 - size 21"

Back when this bike was new, I was a poor college student, and couldn't swing the $400 it would have taken to bring this baby home, but I loved the way it rode.

Through the magic of eBay, after years of occasionally checking, I finally found the right year, right size, and through old age and treachery, bid high enough with 41 seconds to go to make it mine. A very good condition original, right down to the bar tape.

View attachment 246028

#81 ·
Calimasi

Here's my 74 Carlsbad Masi GC - we are on our way to fulfill the November C&V Century a Month challenge this morning...

Here's a quickie of my 75 Eisentraut Ltd from a century earlier this year...

#85 ·
1997 Waterford 1100

1979 Richard Sachs
NIce.....really nice....really really nice.

I'll play now...but I'll just post a link to most of the pictures because i am feeling reasonably lazy and don't feel like copy pasting all the url's

I bought this as a complete bike in October and ripped it apart...had it tank stripped, phosphated, electro coated and powder coated, sold off the stuff that came on it and replaced with stuff I either had or purchased for it. It is complete now and is easily the most comfortable bike i own.

I am sooooo looking forward to spring!
................................................................................BEFORE

................................................................................AFTER

Waterford

That's right, no decals because 50 bucks for decals would be for ego only...and i really don't care who knows what it is!

#89 · (Edited)
Vintage and not so vintage (since everyone's posting new American,too). I'm a Buy New American Guy.

85 Trek 600
00 Calfee - what a good company to work with!
03? Macalu - Litespeed/Merlin mfg
04 Talerico - nice lugged steel
Co-Motion tandem, low miles like many tandems

#92 ·
Any excuse . . .

. . . to post pics of my bikes!

The first pic is of my beloved '89? 3.0 "Cannonball". It was my first "real" bike and I rode her everywhere. Little did I know she was made for racing crits. She was a harsh ride and I had some scary moments bombing down Mt. Palomar! Then got a '99? Schwinn Fastback Limited that got quickly stolen so I replaced her with a '01? Schwinn Fastback Comp (my main race bike). For all day rides I have my '99 LeMond Zurich. I bought the frame used and the paint was in awful shape. Had my good buddy Joe Bell repaint her yellow. Joe said it looked so plain that he added the decals. And finally my Paramount painted in Wheaties colors!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.