RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

powdercoating Molteni Orange quest

I bought an old Merckx and plan on painting it. I want to powder coat a single color (Molteni Orange). The research I have done on color matches has pulled up the following powdercoats that are supposed to be a close match to Molteni orange: PFS-500-S8 and RAL 2004, both of which are available at my local Powder coaters shop.
    A couple other paint colors that are supposed to be real close are PPG global BC #61646 and Imron 60659U, but I can't find paint chips for them to match up with. The PPG global is supposed to be the closest to Molteni from what I read.

There are some old archived threads I read, but nothing lately and I'm wondering if anyone has gone any further in this quest to match up Molteni with a powder coat color.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by martinrjensen
    I bought an old Merckx and plan on painting it. I want to powder coat a single color (Molteni Orange). The research I have done on color matches has pulled up the following powdercoats that are supposed to be a close match to Molteni orange: PFS-500-S8 and RAL 2004, both of which are available at my local Powder coaters shop.
    A couple other paint colors that are supposed to be real close are PPG global BC #61646 and Imron 60659U, but I can't find paint chips for them to match up with. The PPG global is supposed to be the closest to Molteni from what I read.

There are some old archived threads I read, but nothing lately and I'm wondering if anyone has gone any further in this quest to match up Molteni with a powder coat color.
    Send it to Spectrum. They'll custom blend a color for you.

They can match classic early 70s molteni orange as well as 90's and later repro molteni orange.

I mean, that's what you gots to do if you want an exact match. If you just want something reasonably close, your local guy will probably be able to do you good.

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by buck-50
    Send it to Spectrum.

right there you're lookin' at 3-4x what it would cost to do it locally... unless it's a full resto repro I'd just use something close and have it done by the local 'coater... nobody really knows what molteni orange is anyway

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    right there you're lookin' at 3-4x what it would cost to do it locally... unless it's a full resto repro I'd just use something close and have it done by the local 'coater... nobody really knows what molteni orange is anyway
    Didn't say it'd be cheap...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

the frame

Well right now I'm really leaning towards cheap, but I still want a nice looking bike. There is a fair amount of unknown to this frame and I still have to do the grouppo. I won't even have the frame in hand for a week at least I have time to do a little research for this, but I think I'm actually about researched out. I've got a lot of info already. Apparently the closest match, the PPG global color, they didn't make a paint chip for. I wanted to get that and take it to the powder coaters to match it up with the several oranges they have. I think there is a Molteni Orange frame hanging around in one of the local shops here too, or there was. I might run over to the place and see if it's still there. It was a couple months ago, I know that. The Molteni Orange was really a compromise anyway. I would really like to do a team color like my Corsa (Team Stuttgart), but that is 4 colors not counting the white trimming in the lugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by buck-50
    Didn't say it'd be cheap...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Please don't powder coat that frame. It deserves to be wet painted.

What the Hell is going on

Imron 1021

I had Joe Bell paint my Panasonic commuter with Imron 1021; otherwise known as "Eddy Orange". $200 for a single color (frame and fork).

Here's a pic.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    I'd slow down with this one and do a little more research about high quality finishes. I "get" you want to ride the bike. I am going through a similar process with my Casati right now. I have all new Record and Centaur bits ready to hang on this frame, but my local painter has already goofed it up twice. Three strikes you are out. I am now researching higher end local options to do this job properly. I am no Merckx expert, but I think the one you have is quite worthy of extra time and money. Just my two cents.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

thanks for your 2 cents

Fortunately, while I can't say I am big on patience, I do have the time. I won't be getting the frame "in hand" till the middle of next week and that will give me time to calm down a bit. So far I have sucessfully resisted the urg to buy the grouppo I need off of ebay "that was close but not quite right", twice! That's a big step or me. I am definately going to be doing some more research before I step into the deep end of the pool. I am getting some good ideas here. thanks for your input. So far the only thing I have bought is a decal set and if I end up not using that, it's no big deal. I am pretty sure that it will get some kind of make over, just not totally sure what kind yet. One thing that will help is that I am about to get busy at work for the winter. That and the fact I already have 5 road bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by gomango
    I'd slow down with this one and do a little more research about high quality finishes. I "get" you want to ride the bike. I am going through a similar process with my Casati right now. I have all new Record and Centaur bits ready to hang on this frame, but my local painter has already goofed it up twice. Three strikes you are out. I am now researching higher end local options to do this job properly. I am no Merckx expert, but I think the one you have is quite worthy of extra time and money. Just my two cents.

RoadBikeReview Member
    powdercoating Molteni Orange quest-78-merckx-updated-7700-da.jpgfinal build w/7700 DA.
    powdercoated.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    That's nice. Who painted it for you? Why DA 7700?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I purchased on ebay, sent from Italy, the guy I bought it from had it a year, purchased it from someone who had it stripped and powdercoated, new decals. all was done well. I do prefer paint to powdercoat, though. Because paint gives the true edge and drop depth of the lugs with no smoothing. powdercoating gives it a softer filed by slightly infilled look. at the corners. the finish is nice, deep and durable. so its still extremely nice, just not authentic with a non orig finish. that was a good reason not to go era campy.

a longtime frame guy and builder around here in Portland Oregon cold
    set to 130 rear. had the DA set, like it.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I bought my Corsa 01 from a guy who had recently had it painted. The frame looked brand new when it arrived. I liked it so much that I found a frame for my wife with original team Flanders paint job. Put Campy Athena on both bikes. They really are nice riding bikes.

powdercoating Molteni Orange quest-eddy2.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's not Molteni Merckx but it was powder coated orange by Spectrum.

powdercoating Molteni Orange quest-photo-4-copy.jpg
    San Antonio, Texas