Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice work in getting those pics posted. Looks Great. If it were me Id likely switch the brake lever to the other side as Velodog mentioned but as long as you can keep it sorted between your other more conventional bikes and this then no worries. Have you considered just adding a rear brake since you are riding single speed and not fixed gear? Just some added safety for the fast city ridingbut again as long as it manageable its all good.
    Do Love that blue J

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks and a rear brake would prob be a good idea as Ive had a few hairy moments catching a red light on a down hill but managed ok. The front euro brake hasnt been an issue as hellgate pointed out. I like the idea of getting a period crankset but first I need a new wheelset as those are pretty shot. Any suggestions? Obviously Im not looking to drop several hundred on a set but curious what yall might suggest. Thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I ended up getting a set off Craigslist as a guy in my town had upgraded the wheel-set on his Langster and had the stock set to sell. Has non-descript hubs and AlexRims (good enough for me at $45)
    So its certainly worth a look at CFyou never know.
    Otherwise Ive also notices some track wheels for sale on Bike Nashbar
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product2_10053_10052_517441_-1
    I do not have personal experience with these (maybe someone else here has) but the price looks pretty goodon sale now and they are Vuelta for what its worth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I will read up on those. Also been looking at the Shimano 105 Mach set. They are just under $100 as well

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud9quest View Post
    I need a new wheelset as those are pretty shot. Any suggestions?
    build them yourself using your upside-down bike frame as a truing stand. sheldon has an easy to follow guide on his site. i use sun rims (either cr18 or m13ii, at around $70/pr shipped), sapim spokes ($35 shipped from danscomp), and your own vintage hubs (or get some second-hand). i have m13ii's on all my vintage bikes (with campy record hubs).

it may take a few hours to build each wheel your first time, but there's no harm in trying. if you fail, you can always drop off the laced wheels at a good shop to complete. there is nothing like the satisfaction of building your own wheels.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Are the wheels on the bike 700c or 27"?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    27 and thank for the suggestion black but building out my own wheel set sounds like the furthest thing from fun to me lol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud9quest View Post
    27 and thank for the suggestion black but building out my own wheel set sounds like the furthest thing from fun to me lol.
    It looks like you're going to have to get a longer reach brake set if you go with a 700c wheel replacement. It's not really a problem, but something that you need to be prepared for.
    Too old to ride plastic

a real member's member
    sun rims come in 27" and 700c. other options are black or polished, and 36h or 32h.

because the original brakes are nothing special, new tektro dual-pivot calipers are inexpensive, and you can buy new ones individually (as opposed to a set), i would favor a 700c conversion for this bike. this decision simply makes tire purchases easier and adds some value for a future sale.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    sun rims come in 27" and 700c. other options are black or polished, and 36h or 32h.

because the original brakes are nothing special, new tektro dual-pivot calipers are inexpensive, and you can buy new ones individually (as opposed to a set), i would favor a 700c conversion for this bike. this decision simply makes tire purchases easier and adds some value for a future sale.
    Certainly number of options and as velodog pointed out, you just need to be "prepared for it." Perhaps long reach brake calipers as mentioned or other modifications like that proposed by Sheldon Brown:

Home Made Drop Bolts

Although in practice I find that many times, older brakes often have sufficient reach and if they do a good enough job at stopping the bike you may be ok....either way there are options...and relatively inexpensive ones at that.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12