Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017

Seeking info on univega frame

I googled around a bit but did not have any luck. Serial number J403905 thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    See if you can find what your looking for in these catalogs. Univega made some nice bikes at reasonable prices.

Open the link I provided and click on the catalog cover to open catalog.

https://univegacatalogs.wordpress.com/
    Too old to ride plastic

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud9quest View Post
    I googled around a bit but did not have any luck. Serial number J403905 thanks
    post drive-side pics or we can't help you much.

google tells me the leading "j" in the serial is 1981 if it's a miyata made frame (as are most univegas i've owned). the other digits are meaningless.

i've had several univegas, and they were very nice riding bikes once i fully overhauled them.

look on the back of the components to find date codes you can then reference on the vintage trek website.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Univega sold a TON of bikes 20+ years ago; some nice, some average, some cheap. Just a serial # ain't enough.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks yíall. This bike was rebuilt as a SS so I donít have any of the original components. Iím not concerned with itís value either. Itís just an old fast beater bike. Itís geared at 52/18 so itís fun for zipping around Atlanta. Thanks again and those catalogs are awesome

Russian Troll Farmer
    Still waiting for a pic......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Iíll would have posted a pic in my original post if I could. I am assuming that is not an option with a free membership? Either way itís not popping up as an option on my phone when I select quick or advanced reply

RoadBikeReview Member
    I rode an awesome blue UNIVEGA as my campus bike back in my undergrad days. Great ride and I really wish I had that thing around. Iíd second the date code likely indicates an í81 model year. I would say itís too bad the components were swapped out during the SS conversion, but it sounds like a super fun ride in Atlanta. This is not my actual ride (sadly I don't have a pic of it) however it looked like this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seeking info on univega frame-univega.jpg  
    Last edited by Veloptuous; 1 Week Ago at 10:34 AM. Reason: adding information

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    My frame is that same sky blue although itís pretty scarred up from lots of use over the years

Russian Troll Farmer
    Iíll would have posted a pic in my original post if I could. I am assuming that is not an option with a free membership? Either way itís not popping up as an option on my phone when I select quick or advanced reply
    ANYBODY can post a pic, assuming they know what they are doing....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks man. You seem to have a firm grasp on the obvious. Like I said, on my phone when I select ďpost quick replyĒ or ďgo advancedĒ, as these appear to by my only options for making a post, there is no option for adding any attachments. So yes I obviously donít know what Iím doing when it comes to posting pics. If you really want to see the bike maybe you could make a helpful suggestion to help steer me in the right direction.........or you can just keep being a dick because the internet doesnít have enough of them. Thanks for playing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    It says the FAQ page wonít load because itís not supported by my mobile device. Iím assuming that may have something to do with my inability to post pics too. Toulouse, as the resident local why arent you aware of this issue? Iím startimg to believe that you donít know what you are doing. Such a shame

a real member's member
    If you really want to see the bike maybe you could make a helpful suggestion to help steer me in the right direction.
    the easiest way is to host the image on flickr or a similar site, and then place the image's whole path and file name within "img" brackets, like this:

'80 gran rally

'84 sportour-s

click "reply with quote to see what the syntax looks like.

imgur upload is maybe the easiest way to host images. you can also upload and attach them here to rbr, but if you don't see the 'picture' icon above the dialogue box where you write your reply, I can't help you.

the images i shared above are two of the many univegas i've owned over the last several years. if the '80s univega road bike has forged drops, that's usually a sign of a chromoly frame, so i'm often interested in rebuilding it. '80s miyata frames are very well made. and the mid-level univegas didn't skimp on components.

or you can just keep being a dick because the internet doesnít have enough of them.
    you have that guy pegged correctly. he's a troll that gets off on his ignorance and misanthropy.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It can certainly be more difficult to do on a phone depending on a number of factors. Do you have access to a computer...desktop or laptop? I think it may be much easier to post pics n' such from there. You could e-mail the pics to yourself from your phone then try to post them if you are able to get on a computer.

In the quick reply on the computer it has an "insert image" icon and I select an image from my desktop to post and it seems to work just fine. Although I have not tried to do so from my phone before.

a real member's member
    i view this site in full mode (desktop, not mobile) with an android phone. works fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Seeking info on univega frame-bike.jpgSeeking info on univega frame-bikedrop.jpgSeeking info on univega frame-bikebrake.jpgSeeking info on univega frame-bikecrank.jpgWell here are the pics, finally. thanks again for your patience when i got to my lap top it was not an issue to post the pics. and i'm not sure why i didn't include the fact that its a viva sport in my op lol

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    i'm only seeing the viva sport in the catalog from the 80's

Russian Troll Farmer
    Looks like a mid-range frame. Holy crap, that setup is giving you a LOT of gear-inches! Are you doing motor-pacing??? I assume that there are no hills where you live...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Be careful if you ride a bike with conventionally cabled brakes.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Plenty of hills in Atlanta. The cool thing about our city is if you arenít feeling it just go over a street or two and the Hill is no more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Be careful if you ride a bike with conventionally cabled brakes.
    Whatís the issue. I havenít experienced any

RoadBikeReview Member
    Typically the front brake is operated with the left hand. Riding a bike, as yours, with a right hand operated front brake could have you grabbing the rear brake on a conventionally set up brake system.

Muscle memory, being what it is, has me preferring to have things operate the same, bike to bike. But that's just me.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Typically the front brake is operated with the left hand. Riding a bike, as yours, with a right hand operated front brake could have you grabbing the rear brake on a conventionally set up brake system.

Muscle memory, being what it is, has me preferring to have things operate the same, bike to bike. But that's just me.
    Not if you ride motorcycles...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

a real member's member
    i'm only seeing the viva sport in the catalog from the 80's
    the viva sports i've owned had nicer cranksets. they were very much mid-level bikes. if your crank is original, that tells me yours is lower than a viva sport. so the rear stays and fork are probably hi-ten, not chromoly. it's not a big issue. the nice thing i see is the forged drops and rear derailleur hanger. please don't cut it off!

start looking for a cooler looking crankset, like a period-correct one from japan (sugino, takagi, or sr). you can find one on ebay in the winter under $50 or at a local co-op (or craigs) under $20. the uglier the better, cause you can always deanodize and polish it up!

and that is a tiny stem for such a large frame! with your saddle so far back, you might want to find a 90mm-100mm stem (at least). then you can move the lever over to the left if you want. period-correct sr stems are inexpensive (under $10).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellgate64 View Post
    Not if you ride motorcycles...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Different animals.
    Too old to ride plastic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast