RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Sekine SHS-270 Find...

I was out looking for bikes yesterday. Already snapped up a free 1973 Concord Aztec in really bad but salvageable condition. I was on my way to buy a 1986 Schwinn World for 50 bucks. I get to the place and the world is in great shape, looks almost new. I know the world is not an amazing bike but I can resell it for 150-175. So im out riding the world, test riding it. And these two kids riding come up to me and say " Hey Im giving away one of those". I said " a road bike?". They say...."yea". So I follow them to the house and the kid brings out a semi-rough but neat Sekine. I give him 10 dollars because I figured it was good karma.

The Sekine has ornamental lugs, a Champion Butted Cro-mo frame, forged Shimano drops, chromed chain, and fork. It was missing the seat and one of the spokes needs to be replaced, but after a little cleanup its looking really nice. There dont seem to be a lot of these bikes in the states. It weighs 22-23 lbs, its super light. Its the SHS270 2nd or 3rd in their lineup, a really great bike. Here are some pics of the progress so far...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sekine SHS-270 Find...-wp_000561.jpg   Sekine SHS-270 Find...-wp_000562.jpg   Sekine SHS-270 Find...-wp_000560.jpg  

Carless
    Man Love the lugs!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Trower View Post
    Man Love the lugs!!
    I know, those lugs are MUCH more pretty than the ones on my 1976 Peugeot PX-10. Its a 54cm frame too and it fits my GF perfectly, so Im gonna let her ride the bike and that can be her old vintage ride and I will stick with my 1987 Schwinn Prelude and my 1976 PX-10.

Also forgot to list the rest of the components on the Sekine...

Front Derail/ Rear : Shimano Titlist
    Crankset : Sakae SR Silver alloy cotterless
    Dropouts : Shimano w/ adjusters
    Wheels : Araya 27 1/4" aluminuim
    Brake calipers, levers : Shimano Tourney
    Stem : Sakae
    Bars : Sakae Road Champion
    Frame : Double Butted Cro-Mo 23lbs
    Hubs : High flange Shimano / shimano skewers

This model was a later one 1975-1977 made in Canada. I cant wait to get it all ready to ride, my GF is finally going to feel what a light quality steel frame will feel like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Here is a picture from yesterdays ride. My girlfriend likes the Sekine so I put some purple bar tape on it. Im running 27" wheels on it for now, the rear is mismatched its grey and the front is the original Araya. The shimano tourney centerpulls will work with 700c wheels so in the next week or so I plan to put on some 700c wheels. That is my Schwinn Prelude next to the Sekine, the prelude is my fav bike to ride...might not be the highest end bike but I love its ride qualities.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sekine SHS-270 Find...-wp_000590.jpg