RoadBikeReview Member

Silca Imperio vs other modern pumps?

I normally ride with CO2 - but now Im thinking a white Imperio to go with my white Bianchi Cd'I. Will I be wasting my money? I know I can get a much nicer modern pump for less? Ive never used a Silca so I dont have a way of comparing it. What do the combined brilliance think?
    ALL HAIL LUBE LORDS I AM SUPPLICANT TO YOUR WHIMS.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I actually like my 80's era Silca Impero as much as my newer frame pumps. Yes, they will break if you're truly ham-handed, but this isn't a make or "break" issue. It is nice, however, to try and score a genuine Campagnolo tip for it. It makes the pump-tire stem interface that much more secure.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

old school drop out
    It depends on what you mean by "nicer." Newer pumps tend to be "mini pumps" which are lighter than the Silca and will fit in your jersey pocket better than the Silca. But as far as moving a lot of air quickly into your tire, the SIlca will beat any modern mini pump that I've ever used (CO2 excluded).

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is exactly the response I was looking for. I am torn between the sensible Road Morph or Lyzene road drive and what I really want... Imperio. They just look the Biz. Now to find one I can afford in either chrome or white. Thank you all.
    ALL HAIL LUBE LORDS I AM SUPPLICANT TO YOUR WHIMS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I too own a early 80's Silca Imperio pump with the Campy head, and I like it but I stored it way because it is a classic in mint condition. You can buy them new today though as remanufactured and with a cheap plastic pump head. Their good pumps, lightest frame pump on the market, but not very durable in regards to stress after hitting something like falling off the frame while riding, or trying to hit a dog, etc. But if you have a classic ride and are trying to get the flavor of the time period there is no better pump to do that with.

Otherwise I agree a more sensible pump is in order otherwise. The Road Morph G, while not a full frame pump it does work just as good, is a great durable pump that will easily pump tires up to however far you want to go, and the G model comes with a built in psi gauge that is accurate to within 5 pounds, has a fold out foot peg and pump handle. If you want a true frame pump the Topeak Road Master Blaster, Zefal HPX 3 (which I like better because it too was also popular in the old days and their tough), and the Zefal Lapize which has a eternal hose you pull and attach, the hose prevents undue stress on the valve stem like the Topeak Road Morph G and non G models.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk98yvozq1g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p92Stnnigjs
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."