RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

Stella SX-75 c.1973

On a recent thread there was some speculation that a bike in question might be a Stella. I was intrigued at how close the frame looked like a bike of mine in details, but not so close, that I thought I might post a few shots of mine for reference.
    I bought my bike used in 1977, it had been raced locally in the SF Bay Area. A lot of Stellas seem to have been sold here. I used it as my college bike, had numerous braze-ons added and had it repainted, it was a light blue color. I rode it across the US the summer of 1981, although with touring gears, and rode it through the rest of the 80s.
    The three main tubes are Columbus double butted, I noted that the rest were Reynolds 531, though I don't know where I got that from. It has Campy dropouts, diamond shaped CS and rear brake bridge reinforcements, and long fork tangs extending from a chromed fork crown. Interesting for a French bike, the bb is English threaded. When I bought it it was mostly equiped with Campy, my brochure says they were available that way, but I suspect the previous owner added much of it. It does not get ridden much anymore, the new stuff is just so much nicer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stella SX-75 c.1973-whole-bike.jpg   Stella SX-75 c.1973-bb-area.jpg   Stella SX-75 c.1973-rear-drive.jpg   Stella SX-75 c.1973-seat-stays.jpg  

Burning Fists of Love

very nice

Thats a cool bike.

The differences between mine and yours are small for certain as far as overall apearance. Fork and chainstay seem to be the main and of course the components.

Wish you rode it more, the color looks nice. I know I wouild ride it if it fit.......
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks, the ride and handling are fine, but the bars are narrow (38 was pretty normal for the time), the brakes have nowhere near the stopping power, drivetrain and shifting is agricultural compared to today's bikes. My two favorite modern improvements are clipless pedals and brifter shifting. Those, and a weight savings of 5 or 6 pounds to my newer bike, make riding the new one much more enjoyable.

Burning Fists of Love

good points

Quote Originally Posted by shinewheel
    Thanks, the ride and handling are fine, but the bars are narrow (38 was pretty normal for the time), the brakes have nowhere near the stopping power, drivetrain and shifting is agricultural compared to today's bikes. My two favorite modern improvements are clipless pedals and brifter shifting. Those, and a weight savings of 5 or 6 pounds to my newer bike, make riding the new one much more enjoyable.
    The shifting on tubes never really bothered me because when tumed correctly, its rather good.

I was never concerned with bike weight, but, thats me and other folks have theri absolute right to that option, its a very good point.

The pedals though. I like both clips and clipless.With clips of course you have that strap and you do notice loose straps on the upstroke for certain, otherwise, its a great machine
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    I'm in the bay area now, but where I've lived before the Stella bicycles I'd seen (and owned) were strictly entry level late 70's 'bike boom' pieces. Your Stella is stunning; love the paint/color. You can still put a 40 or 42 cm handlebar on yours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That bike looks great. Shine that puppy up!
    I saw a werewolf drinking a piña colada at Trader Vic's, his hair was perfect. (Warren Zevon)