banned

Threaded to Threadless conversion

First, I id use the search function but the only thread wasn't very helpful.

Second, while I know a King will do the trick, this project isn't for my primary bike so I can't justify the money.

So here's the deal. My older Serotta fits me fine, but I'd like to bring the bars up a bit more than the stem can range. So I picked up an Icon Air Rail Carbon for $10 yesterday. I have a 1" to 1 1/8" shim for a newer stem.

Other than King, is there a decent 1" headset for threadless similar in quality or price point to an Athena? Ideally I'd like to stay away from Shimano so if there's a Mavic or Stronglight as an option I'd appreciate any info.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Threaded to Threadless conversion-davis-resized.jpg  

duh...
    cheapest way is to get a threaded-threadless 'converter' and slap on a +rise threadless stem... ugly as sin tho

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    IMHO, it would be a shame to put a threadless fork/ stem on that bike.

That is a beautiful bike

Nitto makes quill stems that will give you a higher bar position..

just my opinion of course..it's your bike to do as you please
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Agree with Dave, both on sentiment and the technical end of it. The Nitto Technomic Deluxe will give up to 11 cm of exposed quill above the headset locknut. The plain Nitto Technomic (not as nicely finished, a little heavier) allows up to 16 cm of exposed quill.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Agreed. Get a Nitto Deluxe. I just bought one from Ben's for $43 new. It is an absolutely beautiful piece of componentry. Putting threadless on that bike would be a travesty.

banned
    With all the help you guys are giving me I should ask you to help me move!

I'll look into the threadless converter. If I go that route I'm only out $15 so far and I could find a home for the Icon easily.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TWB8s

I'll look into the threadless converter. If I go that route I'm only out $15 so far and I could find a home for the Icon easily.
    Ha...you posted this in the Retro forum....everyone here knows that threadless is a bad word
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

A converter would work, but almost all of these have woefully short quills. This means that the difference between what you have now and what you want will have to come almost entirely from the up-angling of the stem. And keep in mind that you'd need a converter + a stem, so a Nitto might actually be cheaper.
    Last edited by wim; 01-12-2009 at 07:08 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Velo-Orange has a longer, and nice quality, threadless stem adapter. Soma Fabrications has a very long threadless stem adapter. Both for 1-1/8" stems.
    http://www.velo-orange.com/vothstad.html
    http://store.somafab.com/sohiristad.html
    I've got a VO unit and it's nice quality. Sure, they all kinda b.u., but dealing with standard quill stems is such a pain.
    --Drew

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wim
    A converter would work, but almost all of these have woefully short quills. This means that the difference between what you have now and what you want will have to come almost entirely from the up-angling of the stem. And keep in mind that you'd need a converter + a stem, so a Nitto might actually be cheaper.
    Not true. While you were sleeping, at least two outfits started selling long-quill adapters as pointed out by drewellison. Pay attention to what's going on, will you?
    Last edited by wim; 01-12-2009 at 11:08 AM.

banned
    The Velo-Orange unit looks much nicer than what I've seen elsewhere. Other than the steel wedge it looks quite nice.

I figured I'd get a better class of responder in the Retro-Classic Forum if I asked here. You know, good quality bikes under riders whose lower backs aren't as flexible as they were back in the day.

duh...
    I figured I'd get a better class of responder in the Retro-Classic Forum if I asked here. You know, good quality bikes under riders whose lower backs aren't as flexible as they were back in the day.

the bikes are vintage, not nec the riders...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    the bikes are vintage, not nec the riders...

That just makes sense.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's the thing. By the time you get a threaded to threadless adaptor and a threadless stem, your bike will weigh more than it would by simply switching to a Nitto Deluxe. Plus the conversion will cost you more money and you will have less flexibility in adjusting the height of your handlebars. Finally, it will look worse.

But, heh, it's your bike. Do what you want.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    In a word, don't do it. I'm still regretting having converted my old Falcon from threaded to threadless - carbon fork and weight savings notwithstanding.

If I hadn't sold the Reynolds steel fork and Cinelli bar/stem combo they'd be going back on now. Yes, I'm an idiot.

Old, slow, and fat.
    I think I'm going to do it for the GF's Oschner. I'm gonna put my K-Wing compacts on there for her. No, its not gonna be pretty, but then she don't ride for pretty, she rides for comfort. Right now, the Cinelli bar/stem combo has her fingertipping the tops of the bars to get more upright.

As an added bonus, I found an American Classic Tri-lock t-less top cap in my bin o stuff. If I wanted to go completely threadless, I could! Woot! All I'd hafta do is find a 1" t-less fork for the bike.

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 1969
    There is one option that I have had success with on Dura Ace headsets and that is filing out the threads on the nut. A nice file with a curved surface and a bit of patience can give you a very nice 1" headset for no monitary investment (assuming you are will to take the file to your current headset). I had to do this with a whack of DA headsets 10 years back or so and I still know where a few of them are -- and they are functioning as well as any non-modified headset.

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by welcomdmat
    There is one option that I have had success with on Dura Ace headsets and that is filing out the threads on the nut. A nice file with a curved surface and a bit of patience can give you a very nice 1" headset for no monitary investment (assuming you are will to take the file to your current headset). I had to do this with a whack of DA headsets 10 years back or so and I still know where a few of them are -- and they are functioning as well as any non-modified headset.

were you a usps team mech? isn't that what they did in the early days of threadless?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    isn't that what they did in the early days of threadless?
    I knew the guy who invented threadless back in '88. He was a decent MTB rider who lived in Dallas at the time. If I remember right he also has the patent for the a rear shock.

As for filing the Stronglight in there now or selling the fork it came with: it ain't gonna happen. I've got 6 speed freewheels I've never used and are sitting since the 80's. I can hang on to the fork and other parts after a conversion.