We have met the enemy...

Velox Track Bike from the '20s-30s on eBay

Happened to be in Piermont Bikes (NY) (pretty much the closest good store) and they had this Velox track bike made by a builder called Alvin Drysdale sitting up front. Glen told me it would be listed this week, and here's the eBay auction

I have no interest in the bike, but it was pretty great to spend some time taking a close look. I love the adjustable stem! Thing was d*mn heavy too. I just missed a similar vintage CCM 6 day bike years ago in a local second hand store and haven't seen anything like it again until this one.

More pics on the listing....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    I love old track bikes...track cycling used to be the most popular sport in America..
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

We have met the enemy...
    I think it's what started the whole fixie craze--they are so clean and purposeful.

Less to break, and they look fast standing still!

I got to meet a Canadian track legend named William "Torchy" Peden who was a very successful 6 day racer (at Madison Square Gardens among other places), who had a very successful career. Those guys were tough.

Here's what one site had to say, he was

...without a doubt the most celebrated personality of the glorious days of “Six-Day Bicycle Racing” during the exciting era of professional speed cycling during the 1920’s and 1930’s here in the United States. Torchy raced with the finest and fastest bicycle racing champions developed in the ultimate speed environment throughout Europe during this period. Throughout this heyday of the fabulous “Six-Days” the big Canadian was paired with many partners from the United States and Europe during his fantastic career, and he carried the roses on the victory lap after these races more than anyone else in the sport. Torchy was victorious on 38 different occasions. . . a record that stood for many years after the veteran had retired from the sport."

It's one of the things that sets Merckx apart from Armstrong--is that he did 6 Day and Derny racing events...
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    First ebay question:

Q: Is the fork drilled for a brake? Thanks
    A: no

It is a sad world.