Very early Gitane Aero TT bike - need help on specs
Am helping a riding buddy restore a very early aero TT bike by Gitane. This was the bike that Bernard Hinault used to win the Grand Prix des Nations in 1979 (see pic below).
We'd like to restore this bike as an hommage to Hinault's bike in that particular race. Unfortunately, the pic below (the only one we could find) doesn't show much detail of how his bike was set up.
For the Francophiles on this list who are in the know, we would appreciate your comments on how the 1979 Grand Prix des Nations bike was set up. For example:
1) what chains and clusters were team Renault using at the time?
2) what saddle did Hinault like before the Turbo came out?
3) were the cranks Campy or, as it appears in 1980, Mavic (or Campy with Mavic rings)?
4) were the bars Atax (as the stem appears to be) or Cinelli?
5) even just a few more pics to zero in on the paint colour would be helpful.
We've already emailed Gitane USA and haven't received any useful info, so am hoping the collective wisdom on this sub form can offer enlightenment.
Have uploaded other pics for those who want to see more detail Gitane Aero TT photos from the Road bike photo Gallery
Thanks in advance...
The project bike:
The Badger on the bike we are building an hommage to:
Last edited by VeloCruzer; 04-14-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Great looking project , good luck and have fun ! how has that head tube fairing been made ? sheet metal behind a regular HT?
Last edited by latman; 04-22-2012 at 03:51 AM.