Hide Age and DOB
    May 2007

Vintage Cross Bike project; close enough to show

Well, my project is pretty much in the riding stage. As with any project, I veered off course my initial plans in a few areas. The concept was a nicely lugged frame that can take 30mm tires, with Campy Gran Sport components. I ended up using some parts I had in the old parts bin including a set of Triomphe brake levers and a NR Italian BB (the bike came with NR headset and shifters). In order to make it ride-able I scavenged a wheelset and a mis-matched set of brakes (I have set of Triomphe brakes coming in the mail). I had a NOS Gran Sport seatpost I wanted to use, by it was 26.8 and the frame turned out to be 27.2; found a Record post for $20 as the aluminum needed a lot of work and it was missing the lower clamp supports. Cool finds were the Gran Sport front derailleur that amazingly fit, the rear Suntour caliper (Cyclone 7000?) that buffed out amazingly well and the lower clamp supports for the seatpost.

A near catastrophe occurred on my first ride when I sucked the rear derailleur. Fortunately I had another derailleur in the wings that I bought on a whim. Besides a slight wobble in the rear wheel that took 5 minutes to true and a slightly bent hanger that straightened with little effort, I was back on the road. I'm thinking the cause was a bent backing plate on the derailleur that I forgot to check before I went out for the ride. The second derailleur worked like a charm and I went on a 3 hour ride including about 8 miles of a fire road. This one of the smoothest comfortable bikes I have ever ridden. It seems I always get a frame 2mm or 3mm too big and I have grown used to it (I'm 5'10" and the frame is a 57cm). Maybe there is something to some of the Rivendell school of thought.

While this might not be someone else's idea of a cross bike, it is exactly what I wanted. I still not sure about the Brooks saddle and I have a feeling I will miss the front Shimano BR-1050 and the Suntour brake calipers. I also have some near new Tipo hubs (with a 126mm rear axle) that I hope will be a wheelset someday .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vintage Cross Bike project; close enough to show-xside_s.jpg   Vintage Cross Bike project; close enough to show-x_tt_s.jpg   Vintage Cross Bike project; close enough to show-x_rbrake_s.jpg   Vintage Cross Bike project; close enough to show-x_der_f_s.jpg   Vintage Cross Bike project; close enough to show-x_crank_s.jpg  

Vintage Cross Bike project; close enough to show-x_front_s.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by onespeedbiker; 07-05-2011 at 09:33 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    leave some rust on their, that will make it vintage. Nice job. Is that the original paint? If so, that's in great shape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great job! I really love the look of the bike.
    -R-

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Sweet........well done......
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

On your left!

Great Job

I like the looks very much. I have a Raleigh that looks quite similar and I may build a similar ride for the varied terrain around here.
    Not in the mood?! Mood's a thing for cattle and love play... not fighting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It looks great. I love how much room the brakes have to accept larger tires. LOL Todays stuff you can barely fit a leaf thru once they are on.

I bet it rides nice.

Bill

Hide Age and DOB
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by datruuz View Post
    leave some rust on their, that will make it vintage. Nice job. Is that the original paint? If so, that's in great shape.
    Yes it's the original paint and I am very happy about the condition.

Quote Originally Posted by crossracer
    It looks great. I love how much room the brakes have to accept larger tires. LOL Todays stuff you can barely fit a leaf thru once they are on.

I bet it rides nice.

Bill
    It was also brought to my attention how single pivot brakes work if you break a spoke or for some other reason your wheel goes out of true. A dual pivot brake is very stationary and likely will not work if the wheel is off more than 1/2"; it can also lock up the front wheel. A single pivot on the other hand will follow the rim's movement so it won't lock up and should get you home. I thought my Peugeot with Reynolds 501 steel was my most comfortable bike (thicker heavier steel can also be very compliant) But I would say this bike beats it in both comfort and stiffness; I guess that's what makes a great frame maker (if only I knew who that was).

Fat aging guy on a bike..
    Very nice speed 1SB. I'm impressed with the brake clearance as someone mentioned above.

Love the color too (its the same as my CX bike).
    ......._: )
    ...... \<,
    ...( )/( )

My Crappy Blog

Hide Age and DOB
    May 2007
    I'm also impressed with the workings of the so called Campy Pill Box front derailleur. It works much better than I thought it would. I notice that the derailleur cage movement slants upward, something that most front derailleurs today don't even do. It was very simple to disassemble and rebuild, but I doubt future frame builders wanted to give up enough space between the rear wheel and seat tube for continued use. Still an interesting piece of componentry history.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vintage Cross Bike project; close enough to show-xderail_s.jpg   Vintage Cross Bike project; close enough to show-xderail2_s.jpg