RoadBikeReview Member

Vintage Marinoni Value

Hello Everyone,

I haven't posted in ages, and apologize for my absence. No excuses. Just a lot of working, family, and very little riding time except for my Fort Ro Uno Single Speed.

I have a NOS Marinoni frame that was never built up that I purchased from a Frame Collector back in 2009. This is a beautiful lugged steel frame hand built and painted by Guiseppe Marinoni himself. Columbus SL Tubing with a custom Silver, Blue and Red paint Scheme. I put together a great Modern Retro build with the last year of Campy Centaur Alloy Groupo, Brooks Racing Saddle, NOS Ambrosia Wheelset, NOS Campy Headset, NOS 3TTT Bars, 3TTT Stem, Campy Aero Seat Post. Lot's of time and money invested in the build. Sadly, I have only taken it out a few times since the build, and have less that 75 miles on the bike.

I'm moving to Phoenix from MN and have decided that I want to get a 29er for the awesome Mountain Trails that are in abundance there, so I've decided the Marinoni needs a new home. Unfortunately, I have no idea what to even ask for it.

Let me know what you think a fair value would be for this ride as I have no idea what retro builds are going for these days.

Thanks,

TBro

Vintage Marinoni Value-bj5w2b.jpg

Vintage Marinoni Value-14jx3td.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Put it on EBay and find out.

What people are willing to pay, that's what it is worth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    from the way you talk about it, I sincerely doubt you'll get out of it what you've sunk your heart into. Not trying to be a hater...but I just saw a beautiful eddie mercx frame with 753 go for 300. You're really better off keeping it and riding it more or use it as a loaner to get a friend into cycling.
    Joe

Descender
    Oct 2005
    Agree with Joe, it is worth more to you than what anyone would pay for it.

Keep it and enjoy the ride, its a very nice bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Only the "in" brands and frames seem to bring really good money on ebay. Even those as noted above are no guarantee. Sell the parts which I bet will give you better money return and keep the frame and fork. There are a lot of wonderful frames that don't say Colnago, DeRosa, or Merkx that don't bring what they might be worth. Selling as a complete bike is a roll of the dice. Marinoni is not that well known and I bet would not bring much. I would also note that really top end vintage bikes never seem to bring anywhere near what it would cost to buy the same bike brand new today. See Colnago Master light for over $3000.00 and De Rosa Neo Primato around $2500.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cbk57 View Post
    Only the "in" brands and frames seem to bring really good money on ebay. Even those as noted above are no guarantee. Sell the parts which I bet will give you better money return and keep the frame and fork. There are a lot of wonderful frames that don't say Colnago, DeRosa, or Merkx that don't bring what they might be worth. Selling as a complete bike is a roll of the dice. Marinoni is not that well known and I bet would not bring much. I would also note that really top end vintage bikes never seem to bring anywhere near what it would cost to buy the same bike brand new today. See Colnago Master light for over $3000.00 and De Rosa Neo Primato around $2500.
    just to add to this, I got to thinking that asking us here, what a bike is worth is a double-edged sword. For example, I think most of us who come here see this bike and say "wow" and really appreciate the workmanship and are certain that its a special ride that you won't get anywhere else. But, the flip side is that while I 'believe' this bike should go for the big bucks, I'm not personally going to step up and pay it for this bike as should I ever decide to sell, I very likely wouldn't get money back out of it.
    Joe

RoadBikeReview Member
    As a Marinoni owner who got into cycling in the seventies, this specimen really catches my fancy. These bikes have a lot of nostalgic appeal in Canada, especially in Quebec and eastern Ontario. Having said that, they come available pretty often with original components.

You can get a sense of what a reasonable asking price might be by searching Montreal area kijjiji or craigslist, forums and the like. Like others have said, it's likely that whatever you get for it won't fend off the regret for having parted with it.