RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

Vintage Viner help wanted

Today, I ran a across an 80s Viner for sale. All most all of the decals are gone, and I cant tell what model it is. I can see some remnants of the columbus sticker, but cant tell which columbus tubes it is made of.

I was hoping that be describing the bike, one of you could tell from memory, or direct me to old catalog scans.

It is metallic orange, has stars in the lugs, and fork crown, campy headset, and down tube shifters, Superbe crank, derailleurs, and brakes.

Does that ring a bell to anyone?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by e39540is View Post
    Today, I ran a across an 80s Viner for sale. All most all of the decals are gone, and I cant tell what model it is. I can see some remnants of the columbus sticker, but cant tell which columbus tubes it is made of.

I was hoping that be describing the bike, one of you could tell from memory, or direct me to old catalog scans.

It is metallic orange, has stars in the lugs, and fork crown, campy headset, and down tube shifters, Superbe crank, derailleurs, and brakes.

Does that ring a bell to anyone?
    If it has that level of components, coloumbus tubing, and star cut outs in the lugs, I would say it's probably a 'Special Professional' Viners higher end bike. What type of drops and fork ends does it have? Does it have fender eyelets? The special professionals didn't. Also I belive the Specials came with a more track style handelbar. You may want to do some research on the Olmo brand, because Viner and Olmos were basically the same bikes. I don't know of any catalouges but I hope this is at least helped in some way. I love my Viner!!! The Best riding bike I have!! (P.S What size is It I'll BUY IT!!!!)
    Last edited by 1793red; 06-13-2011 at 09:58 PM.

Lew
    Angler
    Apr 2005
    Any comments Viner and OLMOs are same ?
    Why?????? Pleaese enlighten Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member

Viner ID

Very high probability its a Special Professional. Almost all the old lugged Viners I've seen in the US were SPs.

I know Viner made bikes for other companies in Italy. I never heard of a Olmo/Viner connection, but it wouldn't surprise me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you look at Viners and Olmo's you'll notice they have the same Decal font, and similar lugwork, and pantographing according to the quality level of the bike. Also the geometry of the two are quite similar.
    -R-

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    The bottom line for any Italian "classic" frame are the drop outs and fork ends. Are you looking at Columbus or, even better, Campagnolo? Dead giveaway.

There are so many "Italian small builders" from the '80's that the dropouts are the clue as to whether or not it was a quality build.
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.