RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012

Is this a Vitus or what? Warning: Picture heavy

Picked up a steel frame set that has a plastic Vitus cable guide under the bb and 2 Vitus decals on the fork and no other markings. Has 3 cable guides under top tube slightly off center on the non drive side. Has a weird rear drop out and no shifter bosses but has cable stops for sti cables on the down tube.
    Need help ID'ing this frame, thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this a Vitus or what? Warning: Picture heavy-photo-54.jpg   Is this a Vitus or what? Warning: Picture heavy-photo-55.jpg   Is this a Vitus or what? Warning: Picture heavy-photo-56.jpg   Is this a Vitus or what? Warning: Picture heavy-photo-57.jpg   Is this a Vitus or what? Warning: Picture heavy-photo-58.jpg  

Is this a Vitus or what? Warning: Picture heavy-photo-59.jpg   Is this a Vitus or what? Warning: Picture heavy-photo-60.jpg   Is this a Vitus or what? Warning: Picture heavy-photo-61.jpg   Is this a Vitus or what? Warning: Picture heavy-photo-64.jpg   Is this a Vitus or what? Warning: Picture heavy-photo-63.jpg  

Is this a Vitus or what? Warning: Picture heavy-photo-65.jpg   Is this a Vitus or what? Warning: Picture heavy-photo-66.jpg   Is this a Vitus or what? Warning: Picture heavy-photo-67.jpg   Is this a Vitus or what? Warning: Picture heavy-photo-68.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    no its not a vitus , and whilst the french Vitus company made steel tubing , that sticker has been peeled off an alloy tubed frame .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by latman View Post
    no its not a vitus , and whilst the french Vitus company made steel tubing , that sticker has been peeled off an alloy tubed frame .
    Thanks latman.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Yes, that is no Vitus and it's a low quality steel frame at that. The crude lugs and dropouts are the tell tale signs. Those cable mounts on the underside of the down tube pre dates STI and were usually to allow for shifters to be mounted at the stem. ....GASP!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another confirmation that it is not a 979 alu frame. The 979 forks are bonded so there wouldn't be any welds.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    As my suspicions have been confirmed, I've decided to let my boys ages 10 and 14 fix it up for their winter project. They have already helped me build and refurbish their mountain bikes (Sette Reken for my 10 and a Klein Pinnacle for my 14,) they are now ready to start work on their first "road" bike build.
    We decided to first clean up the welds on the fork and then strip the paint off of the frame. We've also learned that this is a Giant mid to late 80's frame so we are going to dress it up with as much period correct japanese parts as we can.
    So far this is what we've done:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this a Vitus or what? Warning: Picture heavy-photo-70.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Here's my 10 yo with his Gramps after stripping the paint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this a Vitus or what? Warning: Picture heavy-img_4021.jpg   Is this a Vitus or what? Warning: Picture heavy-img_2328.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Here's a few parts that'll be coming in the next few days:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this a Vitus or what? Warning: Picture heavy-photo-1.png   Is this a Vitus or what? Warning: Picture heavy-photo.png