Thread: Volkscycle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

Volkscycle

In 1974-74 I purchased a Volkscycle bike from a shop in Marysville, CA. It was all cromoly, had very nice lugwork, and was set up with Dura Ace components. The closest bike to it was a Schwinn World Voyageur. Most of the other Volkscycles in the store were of lesser quality.

I kept the bike for about two years, but then got into racing. I purchased a proper racing frame and robbed all the Dura Ace components from the Volkscycle and ended up trading off the frame.

Do any of you remember these Volkscycles and in particular the higher grade versions? I remember that the bike was made in Japan.

Decrepit Member
    Here are some photos of an "early 70s" Volkscycle Mark X. It looks pretty decent.

http://www.pbase.com/cparker75/volkscycle_mark_x
    -Stan
    my bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    That's from the era when a lot of Japanese products had distinctly "non-Japanese" names because of the prevailing attitude that "Made-in-Japan" equaled "junk".

Wasn't Nishiki originally marketed as "American Eagle"?

How times have changed.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    There were Dura-Ace components in the 1970's?
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooper
    Here are some photos of an "early 70s" Volkscycle Mark X. It looks pretty decent.

http://www.pbase.com/cparker75/volkscycle_mark_x

decent??? like $100 10-speed decent?

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

Decrepit Member
    Yeah.. It's a mass-produced product of the bike boom, probably straight gauge carbon steel, but still a decent entry level bike.
    -Stan
    my bikes