Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Are you familiar with Duell, this is my next steel project

7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  davcruz 
#1 ·
Seems like (based on my slight research) Duell Bicycles from the Netherlands/Belgium are not that well known outside of Europe. Duell is a Dutch brand of frames made by Jan Van Dalen and within Europe they have quite a name for craftsmanship.

I have been looking and waiting patiently for my next steel bike. I kinda had my eye out for a Merckx MX-L or another Max framed bike. They are hard to find and usually very expensive and have always been out of my "willing to spend" price range when I find them in my size (58CM c-c).

I follow a group on FB called Steel is Real and lots of fantastic frames and bikes are for sale there daily it seems. So I watch and watch and finally a beautiful frame pops up in my size for a reasonable price and it is made from my second favorite tubing, Columbus EL-OS. It's a Duell from 1996, handmade for a client by Jan Van Dalen. I made an offer and what do you know, I am the new owner. The frame showed up yesterday and I am over the moon.

Craptastic iPhone picture, sorry...

Slightly better one from the seller

Now I have decisions to make. I have a new set of Shimano Ultegra WH-6800 wheels for it. My understanding is that 11 speed is 11 speed and I can use a Shimano cassette with Campagnolo. I am still torn though between Ultegra 6800 and Athena 11. My plastic bike is Ultegra and there is something to be said for keeping things common...

I also managed to find a deal on a sweet Cinelli Grammo Ti stem, that is coming from Austria and not here yet.

See less See more
#2 ·
Something else kinda cool that I did not realize until I had the frame in-hand, the only decals on the frame are the Columbus decals, everything else is paint. One of the nicest factory paint jobs I have seen. I love the brake bridge and the seat cluster too, nice touches.

#5 ·
Several years ago, like you, I ran across a Duell --also seemed like a great buy for the quality of the frame, and I did a little research and realized that I wasn't imagining the value.

Nice find--can't wait to see some better pictures!

#6 ·
Nice! be religiously prudent about using the correct seat post size and NOT over tightening the seat binder. Seen a few of that type lug cluster snapped off in my day...

#9 ·
Revived to show how the bike looks now.

So, I'm pretty sure this is my bike now so I thought I'd update it a bit since I finally got it built back up. Went with Campagnolo 11 speed, mix of new Super Record, Record, with a Used RD and some nice Campagnolo Eurus wheels. Bike as built in the pics in now just 18 lbs 2 ozs. A great rider that is beautifully made. Just enough flex in the frame to absorb the chatter of the rough roads I ride while not giving up any speed. Tonights solo ride on it was a 19.2 mph avg over a route just under 27 miles. One of my best times on this route this year.

#10 ·
Nice build.
The aesthetics of modern cranks really stink, tho' (not a criticism - just the way it is)
It would seem the prior owner and Karel didn't ride it much.

The handlebar looks short and shallow and fits the quill stem - what is it?

#11 ·
LOL, here I am reviving this old thread. I have not been on this site in a long time!

@SantaCruz , I spent enough time on it to hit about 1500 miles, so not a lot but more than enough to determine it was too flexy for a clyde such as myself.

@jamesdak , your build is so much nicer than mine! I know you have lots of nice bikes to choose from, so it says a bunch about the Duell that you enjoy it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.