RoadBikeReview Member

Buena Vista, Co for Spring Break

My family and I will be near Buena Vista next week for spring break and I would like to take a ride or two while I'm there. How are the roads in the area? The forecast is for temps in the 50's so I assume the roads would be wet with melting snow. How about the mtn. bike? Are the trails ridable on regular nobbies? Thanks

Racial Profiler
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluechip
    My family and I will be near Buena Vista next week for spring break and I would like to take a ride or two while I'm there. How are the roads in the area? The forecast is for temps in the 50's so I assume the roads would be wet with melting snow. How about the mtn. bike? Are the trails ridable on regular nobbies? Thanks
    Avoid the trails for a few more weeks (months?).

Just drove through there a couple days ago. Roads are clear (unless it's snowing on you) and dry. Most of the roadside snow is gone, so there won't be much melt on you.

It's windy as all hell through that area this time of year. Good resistance training.
    Everyone fights.
    No one quits.
    You don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself.
    ~Johnny Rico

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluechip
    Roads are fine today. I bet trails are very moist. Take your road bike.

Colorado Springs, CO
    Oct 2005
    Do the Mineral Belt Trail in Leadville. It's a 6-mile MUT with a lot of history along the way. It's on an old railroad bed that used to serve a bunch of mines that the trail goes through.

Lots of snow still around on the hills (we were just skiing yesterday), and more coming down last night when we were leaving. Mountain Biking probably not a good idea. And, road biking only where the sun has hit the road on a consistent basis.

Maybe instead of the road bike, go to Ski Cooper (near Leadville, on Tennessee Pass) and rent some X-country skis?

In Buena Vista there is a sports shop called "The Trailhead" just north of the Best Western motel. They would probably have the scoop on what kind of biking that is good to do at this time. More info here:

http://www.thetrailheadco.com/