RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Trail Ridge East (RMNP)

Wondering if any Estes Park or Denver locals can advise if Highway 36 from Estes park to Trail Ridge highpoint (18 miles) can be ridden now? I've got a 24hr layover in Denver next weekend & would like to check off this climb if the road is clear. Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    I spoke to the rangers and trail ridge is clear but not open to cars, and not open all the way over. I think he said 12 miles up from the Estes side. Call the park, they will tell you the most up to date info.
    Ps weather reports from Denver show fresh snow in Estes Park. Today (Friday)
    Last edited by sbsbiker; 05-11-2012 at 08:35 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks. The ride I was looking at doing is listed as ending 18 miles from Estes Park so I guess it's a little too early. Cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    I read today (newspaper), Trail Ridge should be open next weekend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    They opened the whole thing this morning.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Game on then. Thx

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Anyone done the ride from Grand Lake to Estes Park, and back? A couple of us from Steamboat are set to tackle this route on Saturday. We plan on starting in Gand Lake around 9am. It measures +-90 miles and lots of vert. Should be fun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    2012 - Trail Ridge Road Opening May 14th | 303Cycling News

Be sure to watch the video from 2011.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    2011 was a totally different snow year than we had this year. Last year at this time we were still skiing here in steamboat and summer looked long off. This year we (I) quit skiing in march and started riding Singletrack the first week of April.

Yo no fui.
    Snowpack in the South Platte RIver Basin (in which the east side of RMNP is located) is about 20% of average. Snowpack/drought/runoff news: South Platte River basin snowpack drops under 20% of average Coyote Gulch
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Anyone done the ride from Grand Lake to Estes Park, and back? A couple of us from Steamboat are set to tackle this route on Saturday. We plan on starting in Gand Lake around 9am. It measures +-90 miles and lots of vert. Should be fun.
    I've ridden it from both ways--the Grand Lake side is easier. Be careful of the greyhairs in RVs later in the day--start early.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking