JMM
    Speed Trap Sprinter ;-)
    Mar 2011

Lightbulb Best Value Road Wheelset?

Of course, value is always subjective. For one person it may be as much as they can spare, another sees a 3W aerodynamic advantage and 3g less weight as a good reason to spend another 1000.
    But starting at the beginning:

After an almost 4 year break, I will get back into road racing and tomorrow I will get my new bike (Cervelo R2) which is also my goodbye gift to the UK as I move back to Germany.

As those who know the Cervelo R2, the spec is ok, with the frame being the chocolate piece, but the wheels (Shimano RS010) are most likely made of solid concrete. For training they are perfect and as far as reliability goes, rock solid.

BUT for racing, they are a bit too heavy. So, I am looking for good value wheels to replace them with a first upgrade later this year. My value definition goes under 1000 for a pair and under 1600g.

My current favourite are the Hunt Race Aero which come in at 1440g for 434 which is rather impressive for what I would class as an entry level race wheel. They certainly beat the Mavic Ksyrium Elite.

But maybe some of you may have a suggestion that I don't have on my radar? Meaning something that is either a little lighter for the same money or significantly lighter for not too much more (for 1000 I guess I would be wanting no more than 1250g, which I don't think exists)
    This is not the end - this is the beginning!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I don't have anything to offer, other than you might considering posting this in "Wheels and Tires". I don't think this area gets much activity these days.