RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Carbonsports "Lightweight Wheelset" Standard III clincer

Does anyone here have any experience with this wheelset? If so, can you please tell me your opinions about the wheels and the company? Also, about how much paid and if and where you bought them in the USA.
    Thank you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    I've seen a busted pair in a bike shop. Owner was in a crash during a race and other riders fell on his bike. Not wheels' fault. But $5400 down the drain.

You probably have to special order these in US or anywhere for that matter. UK shop wiggle has them at a lower price but won't ship here.

Alternative for you is edge 45 w/extralite hubs sapim spokes under 1300g. 1/2 the price and replaceable spokes. You don't have to send it to Germany for service.
    Down side about 200g weight penalty.

banned
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by stoked
    I've seen a busted pair in a bike shop. Owner was in a crash during a race and other riders fell on his bike. Not wheels' fault. But $5400 down the drain.

You probably have to special order these in US or anywhere for that matter. UK shop wiggle has them at a lower price but won't ship here.

Alternative for you is edge 45 w/extralite hubs sapim spokes under 1300g. 1/2 the price and replaceable spokes. You don't have to send it to Germany for service.
    Down side about 200g weight penalty.

Just to add to that-- I have a set of edge 1.45 w/ extralite front rear hubs in 20f/24r spoke count w/ sapim cx-rays and they came in at 990g for the set.

There was a time when lightweights were the cutting edge for high profile rims w/ low weight, but now, w/ the newer rims, one has to wonder if the cost and inability to rebuild has made the obsolete (at least for their cost).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdeth1313
    Just to add to that-- I have a set of edge 1.45 w/ extralite front rear hubs in 20f/24r spoke count w/ sapim cx-rays and they came in at 990g for the set.

).
    You must have tubulars right?

Clincher Edge 45 rims are about 425g each.=850g , 3.5g x 44 spokes=154g. , 44 nipples=44g, Ultra SX front =50g, rear 133 is all about 1231g. It could be +/- 30-50g due to weight difference in each individual part.

I think people want LWs for bling factor.

banned
    Oct 2001
    You must have tubulars right?

Clincher Edge 45 rims are about 425g each.=850g , 3.5g x 44 spokes=154g. , 44 nipples=44g, Ultra SX front =50g, rear 133 is all about 1231g. It could be +/- 30-50g due to weight difference in each individual part.

I think people want LWs for bling factor.

yeah, mine are tubular- I don't really know too many people w/ LW's these days, especially clinchers.

extremely biased
    Jun 2005
    The clinchers are not going to be made.

Starnut

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by STARNUT
    The clinchers are not going to be made.

Starnut
    Are you trying to say they will no longer make them in 2010? I see some on stock at wiggle site. They also come with Focus Izalco Team Milram bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    PBK is starting to sell LIGHTWEIGHT wheels now ! If I had the $$$, that is the ultimate pair of wheels that I would buy. Tubulars of course though......

extremely biased
    Jun 2005
    They have been "2 weeks away" for almost 2 years. Plus wiggle won't ship to them to the US and there is no distro here in the US.

Starnut
    Last edited by STARNUT; 12-10-2009 at 02:15 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by poonworks
    PBK is starting to sell LIGHTWEIGHT wheels now ! If I had the $$$, that is the ultimate pair of wheels that I would buy. Tubulars of course though......

Those prices are similar to LBS. Not sure why they charge over $1000 more than wiggle.

LW Ventoux is $3334 from bikesbuster.com. They had standard III tubs also few weeks ago but now I don't see it. PBK price is $5358

banned
    Oct 2001
    Those prices are similar to LBS. Not sure why they charge over $1000 more than wiggle.

LW Ventoux is $3334 from bikesbuster.com. They had standard III tubs also few weeks ago but now I don't see it. PBK price is $5358

Go thru the bikebuster checkout process- with what they charge for shipping, it'll probably come out to the same price.

Oh hai there
    Pista Palace is a US distributor and have many wheels in stock.

Pista Palace (terrible website) The owner is a nice guy though.

No affiliation just live nearby.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by STARNUT
    They have been "2 weeks away" for almost 2 years. Plus wiggle won't ship to them to the US and there is no distro here in the US.

Starnut
    2 weeks away gives the manufacturer a chance to build the wheels specifically for your order and then ship them to your dealer who then sends it on to you or just has shipped directly from the manufacturer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdeth1313
    Go thru the bikebuster checkout process- with what they charge for shipping, it'll probably come out to the same price.
    I actually added Ventoux to cart at bikebuster.com and entered a bogus US address and delivery charges were $79.16 and another $9 for exchange rate fee on their site so still cheaper. Even if get hit with import taxes of %5... still cheaper.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    I have sets of both LW Gen 3 tubulars and Edge 45's - IMO whilst the latter are nice wheels and are highly popular the former are signficantly stiffer despite having 8 spokes less per wheel - torsionally especially - which is an attribute of their structure/construction (which is also their 'downside' in terms of repairs etc) - the new generation of wheels haven't quite bridged the performance gap yet. As noted above if a LW spoke breaks the wheel is usually history - mind you if the carbon rim on any wheel get too damaged the same applies. Without being flippant my view is that any event that leads to a carbon wheel being written off is going to be the basis for an insurance claim anyway.

In relation to the OP I tested the LW clinchers and found for a given spoke count they are stiffer than LW tubulars with equal number of spokes. Even though I'm over 200lbs the 20 spoke clincher front wheel was very 'firm' bordering on harsh in terms of ride quality. For me the tubulars gave a much better ride and are a 'classic' wheelset to actually own if you are lucky enough to be able to afford them.

The question I would pose is actually whether carbon clinchers are your best choice regardless of what brand you go for - they do suffer from problems from overheating on prolonged descents under brakes which can lead to the rim deforming and even the tyre coming off under pressure - I have found in retrospect that I would have been better served having a light-ish set of clincher wheels with aluminium braking tracks for wet weather/hills than having a carbon tubular wheelset and a carbon clincher wheelset.

Good Luck!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dadoflam
    I have sets of both LW Gen 3 tubulars and Edge 45's - IMO whilst the latter are nice wheels and are highly popular the former are signficantly stiffer despite having 8 spokes less per wheel - torsionally especially - which is an attribute of their structure/construction (which is also their 'downside' in terms of repairs etc) - the new generation of wheels haven't quite bridged the performance gap yet. As noted above if a LW spoke breaks the wheel is usually history - mind you if the carbon rim on any wheel get too damaged the same applies. Without being flippant my view is that any event that leads to a carbon wheel being written off is going to be the basis for an insurance claim anyway.

In relation to the OP I tested the LW clinchers and found for a given spoke count they are stiffer than LW tubulars with equal number of spokes. Even though I'm over 200lbs the 20 spoke clincher front wheel was very 'firm' bordering on harsh in terms of ride quality. For me the tubulars gave a much better ride and are a 'classic' wheelset to actually own if you are lucky enough to be able to afford them.

The question I would pose is actually whether carbon clinchers are your best choice regardless of what brand you go for - they do suffer from problems from overheating on prolonged descents under brakes which can lead to the rim deforming and even the tyre coming off under pressure - I have found in retrospect that I would have been better served having a light-ish set of clincher wheels with aluminium braking tracks for wet weather/hills than having a carbon tubular wheelset and a carbon clincher wheelset.

Good Luck!

Would a tubular carbon rims have the same problem with long descents?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    No. the tube sewn inside the tire on a tubular wheelset is further from the brake track and better insulated being sewn up within the tire.

On the clinchers the tube directly abuts the brake track.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a set of LW Gen 3 Clinchers, so they definitely have made some!

I've only ridden them a couple of times as they arrived at the end of last summer, but they felt great. On the question of carbon clinchers overheating, I have a set of Hyperon Ultra Clinchers which I have used for many years and have ridden in the Alps and other mountainous regions. No problems with overheating, deformation etc., so I'm hoping the LW's will perform in the same way.