Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 66
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Cni2i's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,456

    Light skewers....

    Hi everyone. I currently have Fulcrum Racing Zeros Ltd Competition edition wheelset. In the never ending quest to lose gms here and there, I am trying to get lighter weight skewers. I believe the fulcrum racing zero skewers weight approx. 120 gms for the set. I am seriously considering the Tune skewers weighing only 33 gms for the set.

    My only concern is with lighter products, there is sometimes the tradeoff of durability/strength. In this case, I am a little concerned about the clamping torque of the Tune skewers versus heavier skewers. For reference, I am 5'8" and weigh 140 lbs.

    Would love to get feedbacks from others who have Tune skewers and/or other lightweight skewers like CNC, etc. Thank you.
    EyeGuy

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    123
    don't worry so much about durability. titanium is just as strong as steel when applied to cycling applications.
    And the skewer isn't where the weight of the rider and the bike are on. The sole job of the skewers is to squeeze the frame to the wheel. My KCNC was only $70, are over 70g lighter than my steel SRAM skewers and i haven't died yet

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Cni2i's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,456
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    don't worry so much about durability. titanium is just as strong as steel when applied to cycling applications.
    And the skewer isn't where the weight of the rider and the bike are on. The sole job of the skewers is to squeeze the frame to the wheel. My KCNC was only $70, are over 70g lighter than my steel SRAM skewers and i haven't died yet
    Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, been using them without issues thus far.
    EyeGuy

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    15
    This is not an area to save weight...at least in my opinion. Not a good place for a weakness to exist.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Cni2i's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,456
    Quote Originally Posted by rifreede View Post
    This is not an area to save weight...at least in my opinion. Not a good place for a weakness to exist.
    I do hear where u r coming from; hence The reason why i started this thread. I would never ever suggest that lighter skewers are going to improve anyone's climbing time/performance. But I got them b/c I was on a quest to get my bike to drop below 14 lbs. There are obviously other ways, but that was an easy way to drop approx. 100 gms quickly.

    Anyways, will take everyone's advice into consideration.
    EyeGuy

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by rifreede View Post
    This is not an area to save weight...at least in my opinion. Not a good place for a weakness to exist.
    Why not?

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    16

    Planet X Skewers

    As for the Tune skewers The posted weight is incorrect from a couple of guys are running them who have weighed theirs. I have been told they are 46ish grams for the set. Its nonsense to argue over such little difference. I have Tune parts and LOVE Tune products!!! Great quality.

    I have the Planet X Skewers 44g (actual) for the PAIR. Ti/Carbon. The price is so right! $25.



    Last edited by De36; 10-20-2012 at 02:07 PM.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    120
    I've been running a set of the 40g Taiwanese ones for about 20,000 km without any probs.
    There's not much to them. I think you could damage them if you over tightened them. Some people use crazy pressure on qr levers

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    46
    if you don't trust 3rd party. get a pair of zipp Ti skewers. at least it's aero plus light.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: froze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,883
    There isn't enough aero in a skewer to make any difference whatsoever. I also wouldn't waste my money on Titanium skewers, why? what's 10 grams per wheel going to do for your speed? Not a damn thing just as the aero effect! You can get the Zipp stainless that for the pair will weigh 53 grms...that's LESS then their Titanium model!! And it will save you $40!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk98yvozq1g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p92Stnnigjs
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: mann2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    306
    KCNC makes some good, durable light and relatively cheap Ti skewers. Been using for a few years now. weighs around 40g.

    great weenie upgrade from stock. bites like a champ.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    There isn't enough aero in a skewer to make any difference whatsoever. I also wouldn't waste my money on Titanium skewers, why? what's 10 grams per wheel going to do for your speed? Not a damn thing just as the aero effect! You can get the Zipp stainless that for the pair will weigh 53 grms...that's LESS then their Titanium model!! And it will save you $40!!!!
    how can u beat gravity? its hard to argue that making something lighter on your bike will not make you faster, all else being equal. i dropped 100g (about a quarter of a pound) just from the 2 skewers.

    Then may i ask, do lightweight tubes matter? a lighter frame? a lighter groupset? What about lighter everything? All the small things add up don't they. i dropped 3-4 lbs from my bike and thats probably where i'm going to stop because i have other hobbies to spend my money on, but the 3-4 lbs were a result from changing wheels, tires, skewers, and other contact points.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: froze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,883
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    how can u beat gravity? its hard to argue that making something lighter on your bike will not make you faster, all else being equal. i dropped 100g (about a quarter of a pound) just from the 2 skewers.

    Then may i ask, do lightweight tubes matter? a lighter frame? a lighter groupset? What about lighter everything? All the small things add up don't they. i dropped 3-4 lbs from my bike and thats probably where i'm going to stop because i have other hobbies to spend my money on, but the 3-4 lbs were a result from changing wheels, tires, skewers, and other contact points.
    A quarter of a pound from just two skewers? what the hell were you using? Cast iron skewers! Your suppose to use those to cook with!!! Seriously, what the heck kind of skewers would save over a quarter of a pound from lighter skewers?

    So I went to Weight Weenies site and looked up skewers, the heaviest road (non cross or mtb) quick release skewer (pair) was the Joy Tech all steel skewer that weighed 196 grams; the lightest was the KCNC TI skewer at 45 grms for the pair. So maybe if you went from the cheapest all steel skewer to the one of the most expensive TI skewers you may have lost a quarter of pound.

    But if you lost a quarter of a pound from a cheap all steel skewer to a expensive TI skewer then that begs a question: Why would you put an expensive skewers on a cheap wheel? You see, only cheap wheels and hubs would have the cheap skewers. If like most people you have Shimano hubs with skewers that probably weigh 120 gram, if you bought reasonably priced TI skewers they probably weighed 70 grams...you didn't lose a quarter of a pound, maybe an eighth of a pound.

    And skewer weight is non rotational weight, it's static weight, so the penalty of 1/8th of a pound or 2 ounces or 56.7 grms is nothing (and that savings is at the most you could have saved). The biggest improvement you did came from your wheels and tires.

    But knowing what wheels and tires weigh I doubt you saved 3 to 4 pounds, you see 3.5 pounds is 1588 grms...that's the weight of a compete wheelset!!! So unless you came from real heavy cheap $100 a pair Alex clincher rims and touring tires to some sort of $1500 plus all Carbon pro tubular rims and tires I doubt your weights.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk98yvozq1g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p92Stnnigjs
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    A quarter of a pound from just two skewers? what the hell were you using? Cast iron skewers! Your suppose to use those to cook with!!! Seriously, what the heck kind of skewers would save over a quarter of a pound from lighter skewers?

    So I went to Weight Weenies site and looked up skewers, the heaviest road (non cross or mtb) quick release skewer (pair) was the Joy Tech all steel skewer that weighed 196 grams; the lightest was the KCNC TI skewer at 45 grms for the pair. So maybe if you went from the cheapest all steel skewer to the one of the most expensive TI skewers you may have lost a quarter of pound.

    But if you lost a quarter of a pound from a cheap all steel skewer to a expensive TI skewer then that begs a question: Why would you put an expensive skewers on a cheap wheel? You see, only cheap wheels and hubs would have the cheap skewers. If like most people you have Shimano hubs with skewers that probably weigh 120 gram, if you bought reasonably priced TI skewers they probably weighed 70 grams...you didn't lose a quarter of a pound, maybe an eighth of a pound.

    And skewer weight is non rotational weight, it's static weight, so the penalty of 1/8th of a pound or 2 ounces or 56.7 grms is nothing (and that savings is at the most you could have saved). The biggest improvement you did came from your wheels and tires.

    But knowing what wheels and tires weigh I doubt you saved 3 to 4 pounds, you see 3.5 pounds is 1588 grms...that's the weight of a compete wheelset!!! So unless you came from real heavy cheap $100 a pair Alex clincher rims and touring tires to some sort of $1500 plus all Carbon pro tubular rims and tires I doubt your weights.
    my bad, they were 118g, the KCNC were 42g. Savings of 76g. pretty good price for gram ratio of you ask me. i paid $60 for mine on the bay. the going rate is about $1/g until you get into more high end stuff like sram red.

    my bike weighed in at about 18.5 lbs stock, upgraded stock aksium wheels with wire bead tires to new ones @ 1500g + conti supersonics + gp4000s. upgraded sram rival to sram red. upgraded all contact points. after all is said and done my bike is 15.4 lbs now with pedals

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: froze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,883
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    my bad, they were 118g, the KCNC were 42g. Savings of 76g. pretty good price for gram ratio of you ask me. i paid $60 for mine on the bay. the going rate is about $1/g until you get into more high end stuff like sram red.

    my bike weighed in at about 18.5 lbs stock, upgraded stock aksium wheels with wire bead tires to new ones @ 1500g + conti supersonics + gp4000s. upgraded sram rival to sram red. upgraded all contact points. after all is said and done my bike is 15.4 lbs now with pedals
    So you bought the KCNC skewers?

    Now I understand how you got 3 pounds off the bike, it wasn't by wheels, skewers, tires, and tubes alone, you also upgraded the components. Now that makes more sense...except for one small problem...call me a skeptic, but I don't believe your story because you changed it once you realized it the original story didn't pass mustard.

    And if by some slim chance you are telling the truth, then your new wheels cost too much because they only saved you 200 grams total, or 100 grams each, or 3 1/2 ounces each wheel, which is nothing. Then you go out and spend $25 each just so you can have 55 gram tubes? Why would you do that? Why would you go and use GP4000s tires that weigh 205 grms? Since your such a weight weenie you should have bought Conti GP Supersonics that weigh just 160 grms!!

    None of what you said makes sense, I think you made all of this up; but like I said, I'm skeptic. At least I have another hater.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk98yvozq1g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p92Stnnigjs
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    17
    here are my weights from a few nights ago using a postal scale at a USPS office:

    Easton skewers (the ones that come on the EA50 and other wheels) = 119 grams/pr (4.2oz)
    KNC skewers = 39.68 grams/pr (1.4oz)

    The net is a .17 lb savings (79 grams)

    I paid $59 for the KNC skewers and upgraded because I just had a new wheelset built.


    So "Froze", not sure what all your skepticism is about. Shaving a .25 lbs from a skewer set is plausible. And, for under $60, it is on the cheaper end of ways to save & shave 80 grams.

  17. #17

  18. #18
    Northern Michigan
    Reputation: "Fred"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    96
    I also have the KCNC Skewers on my roadbike. They are light and strong. I have put over 7000 miles on them and have no concerns what so ever.

    Last year I was climbing a steep hill out of the saddle when my chain snapped. I went over the bars and did a flip while remaining clipped in. The first thing to hit was my rear wheel and the skewers held tight. You can't test them much more than that.


  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Cni2i's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,456
    ^^^ good to know.
    EyeGuy

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    478
    Apply weight loss to any and all within your means. Dropping 100 Grams with no downside for $45 is a win in my book. And yes, some have 2300 Gram Alex rim wheelsets. Same cost versus gains analysis can be made for anything, any part. I don't know if my planned upgrade wheels even include skewies.
    Only the dead shall know the end of war.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,946
    Just to add another reality point to how much you can lose w/ skewers...

    My Cannondale CAAD7 R2000 had Cannondale skewers that weighed 151 grams (actual), and they're pretty normal looking skewers, like this:

    I believe that the traditional type (Shimano, for example) might weigh more than that even. But just sticking with these , one would save 110-120 grams going with the lightest weight ones which is 4 ounces, or .25 lbs. Not a stretch at all.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,946
    sorry double post
    Last edited by Camilo; 12-05-2012 at 01:34 PM.

  23. #23
    Velocipediologist
    Reputation: metoou2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,253
    Williams
    70 grams, $50.00 / look good
    I do not own these, just saw them the other day.

    Carbon Quick Release Skewers

    nail polish remover might get the Williams logos off.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    661
    The no name Ti skewers with spindly levers that sell cheap on Ebay ($30 set) are so light that anything else will only save a gram or 2 more and for much more $$. I just got a rear one of these: Anodised Bike Bicycle Quick Release Titanium Wheel Skewers Road MTB AEST KCNC | eBay

    The only way to go significantly lighter is with bolt ons: Anodised Bike Bicycle Quick Release Titanium Wheel Skewers MTB Road AEST KCNC | eBay

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: froze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    The no name Ti skewers with spindly levers that sell cheap on Ebay ($30 set) are so light that anything else will only save a gram or 2 more and for much more $$. I just got a rear one of these: Anodised Bike Bicycle Quick Release Titanium Wheel Skewers Road MTB AEST KCNC | eBay

    The only way to go significantly lighter is with bolt ons: Anodised Bike Bicycle Quick Release Titanium Wheel Skewers MTB Road AEST KCNC | eBay

    Has anyone ever used these cheap ones? Sometime ago I heard of someone who did and they wouldn't hold the wheels tight after a few cycles of use.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk98yvozq1g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p92Stnnigjs
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook