RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Ritchey WCS Compact Crank weight and breakdown?

Does anyone have a Ritchey WCS Compact Crank that could give a weight breakdown? Weight weenies doesn't have much (and nothing recent) and I'm very curious about the claimed weight of 570g for 2008. How optimistic is that?
    How much do the chainrings weigh?

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    im intrigued at the claimed weight as well, with it being a lower priced crankset especially.

we actually just installed one on a bike at work today. if only we had batteries for the scale....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Bear in mind that it requires a rather heavy Octalink BB... Heavy compared to outboard BB's, anyway!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    yeah i didnt think about that in my earlier post....

i guess the weight of the crank is just the arms and chainrings (plus hardware). no spindle as its part of the bb. spindles are a good part of the total weight

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

More thoughts

I'm not suggesting it's the lightest thing on the planet but light enough to to give it some consideration. Though I got one off ebay (few years old) and it's about 100g heavier than claimed which makes me wonder how optimistic the claim number is or if they have made huge improvements since then.

Dura-Ace Octalink BB 175g ~$50 (ebay new)
    Ritchey WCS 570g ~$200
    total: 745g ~$250

Dura Ace (not compact) (w BB): 740g ~$380
    FSA K-force Light Compact (w BB): 660g ~$500

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    There was a recall on the left crank a year or two ago. They had some break—too thin. Recall info might still be on the web.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a set of the carbon ones. 565 grams w/rings.
    The small ring is made of steel and is heavy; I replaced with an FSA 36 toother (vs the 34) and it cut 20 grams. I also replaced the large 50 toother with an FSA 52 and it added 25 grams. I didn't keep track of the ring weights; sorry. (I think 52x36 is a better compact range).
    They are very nice cranks. Very stiff. However, I also got a chance to check out the IRD compact cranks. Better finish and 545 grams total.

Regarding Octalink-I have FSA Superlight cranks (515 grams with rings) plus the Dura Ace Octalink BB (175 grams) on my tri bike. 690 grams is pretty much lighter than anything affordable that's 10-speed. SRAM Red is 760 grams, Dura Ace is heavier.
    Hopefully the new superlight FSA (I think that's 640 grams complete) will come down in price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For comparison my Stronglight Pulsion 39/53 is 422g w/rings, Tuned steel BB is 147 w/bolts = 569g complete.
    lighter is better

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sevencycle
    For comparison my Stronglight Pulsion 39/53 is 422g w/rings, Tuned steel BB is 147 w/bolts = 569g complete.
    The BB is ISIS? What are you using, and how are you tuning it? I'm thinking of going with the Token Ceramic Ti.