Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002

At what weight is a road bike considered light?

I know there's no defined threshold but at what weight is a road bike considered light weight and at what price range or is this completely subjective?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    <14 Lbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    8 kg street weight. Why is this important?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Depends on who answers the question. LBS's will tell you that a 19 pounder is light. Then they'll show you their "lighter" bikes.

banned
    May 2010
    I'd say anything under 17lbs with pedals, cages, and computer is light!

banned
    Nov 2001
    anything under 13lbs complete! (ok, I'm a little extreme in this stuff)

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    With the UCI minimum being 15lbs, I'd say anything under that can be called light.

Ride bicycles? Why?
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.8m/s/s
    With the UCI minimum being 15lbs, I'd say anything under that can be called light.

I tend to agree with this for racing bikes or weenie bikes.

However, in the shop my bike gets seen by alot of people. Its 18 flat right now w/ peddles, cages, training wheels and 2 led lights and is constantly being regarded as lightweight by customers. I think any non race bike that is 16.5-17 riding weight is lightweight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    actually the UCI limit is 14.99 pounds not 15...whew aren't you all glad we settled that big difference? But any bike under that weight cannot race in a UCI sanctioned race...if that's important to you. But I'm sure I could put Lance Armstrong on a Schwinn Varsity and he would still beat 99.99% of the riders here on the lightest bikes they could find.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by froze
    actually the UCI limit is 14.99 pounds not 15...whew aren't you all glad we settled that big difference? But any bike under that weight cannot race in a UCI sanctioned race...if that's important to you. But I'm sure I could put Lance Armstrong on a Schwinn Varsity and he would still beat 99.99% of the riders here on the lightest bikes they could find.
    So 14.99lbs is minimum weight. Based on that fact, any bike under that weight requires weight added to race. Wouldn't the ultimate goal be to add that weight back in the form of additional strength, durability and aerodynamics. So we have already established that bikes can be built around the 10lb mark, so now optimization of strength and features at 15lbs seems like the logical goal. And I'm glad somebody already brought up Lance beating everyone on a Schwinn, because it really is all about the engine, the rest is just good marketing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Water bottles, tool bags, pumps and such items that can simply be removed from the bike are not counted in the minimum required weight.

Custom User Title
    <14lbs is doable without using weight weenie parts, and alloy clincher wheels. I'm doing it right now. With carbon tubulars, <13lbs is very possible without any weight weenie parts.

I would say <14lbs is normal light weight and <13lbs is approaching weight weenie light weight.

<12.5lbs and you're most likely into component tuning and bolt tuning and very expensive parts, which is totally weight weenie.

Squirrel Hunter
    Feb 2003

FActs

Quote Originally Posted by blr33439
    So 14.99lbs is minimum weight. Based on that fact, any bike under that weight requires weight added to race...
    You need to remember that very few road bikes are ever raced. UCI limits make a nice starting point for the discussion but are the not the reigning requirement in this forum.
    Luck is the intersection of preparation and opportunity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    IMO 13.2lbs (6kgs) is where a bike starts to feel 'light' and agile. I don't race and do enjoy being a bit of a weight weenie - for me the pure enjoyment of riding a sub-6kg bike will make going back to anything heavier difficult.

RoadBikeReview Member
    When I use to race I too enjoyed being a race weenie. But back in my day CF wasn't around yet and neither were stiff AL frames; so if the frame was too light it would flex like crazy, so I had to test ride bikes till I found one that wasn't noticeable, or at least I did some didn't care if the frame flexed as long as it was light. Wheels were the same way, lighter less spoke count wheels flexed, more spokes usually would not if the wheel was from a good manufacture, French made wheels were horrorable for flexing back then.

Just before I got out of racing CF forks came out and I almost bought one but didn't because I wasn't convinced of the technology being that was new. Now instead of being a weight weenie I look for reliability first weight second.

Anything under 28 pounds with front and rear racks, dynamo hub, light, and Brooks saddle....
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    To the OP: I think it's 100% dependent on the individuals checkbook and therefore 100% subjective. Next.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by c_kyle
    <14lbs is doable without using weight weenie parts, and alloy clincher wheels. I'm doing it right now. With carbon tubulars, <13lbs is very possible without any weight weenie parts.

I would say <14lbs is normal light weight and <13lbs is approaching weight weenie light weight.

<12.5lbs and you're most likely into component tuning and bolt tuning and very expensive parts, which is totally weight weenie.

Carbon tubulars ARE weight weenie

woz
    Madcow
    I have a different approach. I say when the total bike weight is 8% of the riders weight or lighter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737
    To the OP: I think it's 100% dependent on the individuals checkbook and therefore 100% subjective. Next.
    Is that why people who buy Rivendells or Richard Sachs bikes do so because they don't have enough money to buy lightweight bikes? I think you're wrong. Next

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woz
    I have a different approach. I say when the total bike weight is 8% of the riders weight or lighter.
    Excellent. Then I qualify with 157 lbs and 12.67 lb bike.
    For my next trick I will now set myself on fire!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmoretime
    Excellent. Then I qualify with 157 lbs and 12.67 lb bike.
    Yoou think thats interesting I've been searching for a 8 pound road bike for my 100 pound daughter

Yoou think thats interesting I've been searching for a 8 pound road bike for my 100 pound daughter
    It is much easier (and cheaper) to build a bike with this formula when you weigh 300.....
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius
    It is much easier (and cheaper) to build a bike with this formula when you weigh 300.....
    Your right, so I told my daughter she needed to put on about 200 pounds, at 5 foot tall that would make her about at tall standing as lying down; anyway, she looked at me kind of funny and asked me what I've been smoking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Is that why people who buy Rivendells or Richard Sachs bikes do so because they don't have enough money to buy lightweight bikes? I think you're wrong. Next
    Missed the point. If you wanted to lighten up a bike by 3 or 4 lbs it will take a certain amount of money. In general, lighter bikes/components are more expensive than heavier versions. That's all.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast