Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Your weight vs. Your bike's weight

108K views 483 replies 333 participants last post by  g3p 
#1 ·
Couldn't find this posted, so apologies if it's redundant.

This forum focuses on bike weight and every once in awhile someone talks about the losing a pound from the engine. I'm curious about the ratios of rider to bike weights on this forum.

Me- 180 lbs; 6' 1"
Bike- about 17.5
(yeah, we're pigs by some standards)

I don't think we need to qualify rider weight, but with the whole "do pedals count?" thing...

#5 ·
Dont you guys know that the lighter your bike is the cooler you are, no matter how fast you can pedal it or how heavy you may be?

ITS TRUE

It doesnt even matter if your "bike" is still functional. If you put it on a scale and it weighs 11 lbs because it has no cables left, or tubes in the tires and maybe it doesnt even have any bolts on it anymore because the bars and seat post are sticking to the frame with tiny, also very light, dabs of glue, but it LOOKS fast and the scale says that it is light, that is ALL THAT MATTERS.

Sheesh. I thought you guys were cyclists?

#10 ·
Me:

5'6" tall.
Weight hovers between 135 and 140lbs, depends on how recently i've visited the bathroom :)

Bike: 50cm carbon
Weight 17.8lbs including pedals and bottle cages.

I'm working on dropping that below the 17 mark. i can do it with wheels, fork and seat (i think i could use any 2 of the three)

#15 ·
Me: 5' 7" -172lbs

Bike: 13.68lbs

ZERO issues

#16 ·
#17 ·
Me: 158lbs /71.6 kg 5'11"
Bike 15.43 / 6.99kg 57cm
BMI = 22.1

Bike weight includes pedals and two cages.

#18 ·
Bike is about 16 lbs.
I'm 135.
BMI = 19 <-- anorexic.

#23 ·
6'6" | around 215
That's almost 2m | 100Kg for the metrically inclined

64cm steel bike is a respectable but hardly earth-shattering 18 lbs. with cages & pedals (no bottles, pump, or saddlebag)

Let's just say I don't have the build to be a weight weenie, and I probably never will :D

#25 ·
I think I have everyone beat for the rider weight - bike weight ratio....

Me: 5' 11" / 290 lbs
Bike A: 16.4 pounds
Bike B: 25.9 pounds
BMI: Depressing

#26 ·
Me: 169cm / 53 kg (5'6" / 116 lbs)
Bike 1 (Cervelo P3C): 7.5 kg (16.5 lbs) training wheels; 7 kg (15.4 lbs) race wheels
Bike 2 (Look 585): 6.0 kg (13.2 lbs) with the only wheelset it's got
Bike 3 (Bianchi San Jose): 9 kg (20 lbs)

All bikes were weighed with pedals, cages, and computers; just a bit too lazy to remove it before weighing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.