Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Your weight vs. Your bike's weight

108K views 483 replies 333 participants last post by  g3p 
#1 ·
Couldn't find this posted, so apologies if it's redundant.

This forum focuses on bike weight and every once in awhile someone talks about the losing a pound from the engine. I'm curious about the ratios of rider to bike weights on this forum.

Me- 180 lbs; 6' 1"
Bike- about 17.5
(yeah, we're pigs by some standards)

I don't think we need to qualify rider weight, but with the whole "do pedals count?" thing...

#202 ·
When I dropped 1 lb. off y Infinito at the rim thnaks to changing over to Campy Neutron Ultras, it felt the same. However, on the hills feeling the same meant pushing up the hills in the next taller gear. :) I could not say that I picked up any speed on the flats.

BTW, I am currently 58 years old, weigh 155 lbs. and the Infinito has a 16.8 lb. curb weight as set up (without fluid in the water bottle).

#203 ·
spade2you said:
I've been racing a while.
Awesome!

spade2you said:
I've had countless clydes tell me how strong they are, but they usually vanish after the first hill. Ok, so hills aren't their thing, but I still get them in TTs, too.
I honestly have no idea how much power I make as I've never seen the numbers and I really dont care. I can sprint pretty damn well and do really like TT's too even if I'm not the best at them. I will agree that I suck at climbing. However, I dont really train to climb or TT or race, in fact I dont really train at all other than for fitness & fun, when I did train I could climb well enough to get me to a sprint finish and was pretty damn good at TT'ing also but, that was 15 years ago.

spade2you said:
If you really feel that you have that much power, you're often much better suited to getting stronger frames and components for efficiency. Sprinters do this to avoid losing any power from flex.
Exactly why my bike will probably never get under 15.5lbs. My Aluminum wcs bars are as light as I can go without flexing them alot and wheels, well 1450+ for regular group rides and 1650 for when I want to hammer. Cant get much lighter for me to be reliable.

#204 ·
spade2you said:
It's still a Corvette with a VW engine. At clyde weights, any weight savings is minimally felt.
Gee there superfly wt. Iv been to enough professional national races to notice that there sure are a lot of 180- 190 lb guys in the front of the peleton coming up to the mountain top.
Not to mention that Iv noticed most of the superfly wt were the stragglers.
So your analogy of the corvette with a VW engine dont hold water. I ride with guys that are 55 yrs old and 190 lbs that would be glad to leave you in the dust. They regularly race 100 miles for a joy ride and had several national titles. Just saying.

#207 ·
apoint said:
Gee there superfly wt. Iv been to enough professional national races to notice that there sure are a lot of 180- 190 lb guys in the front of the peleton coming up to the mountain top.
Not to mention that Iv noticed most of the superfly wt were the stragglers.
So your analogy of the corvette with a VW engine dont hold water. I ride with guys that are 55 yrs old and 190 lbs that would be glad to leave you in the dust. They regularly race 100 miles for a joy ride and had several national titles. Just saying.
Yeah, but you're not them and they're not fussing over saving a few grams here and there. They also have the muscle to back up the "ohhh, I'm so powerful and strong" debates that most local clydes simply do not have.

#208 ·
spade2you said:
Yeah, but you're not them and they're not fussing over saving a few grams here and there. They also have the muscle to back up the "ohhh, I'm so powerful and strong" debates that most local clydes simply do not have.
Very interesting Spade, first you tell me Iv got a corvette bike with a VW engine but You don't know me or my racing friends, Now your telling me how strong a rider me an my buddies are and what we think. Next thing you will be telling us is your so lite you can walk on water. Racing is a year round thing where I live so we stay in racing shape. As I said before, in a race , the fly weights are usually the stragglers.

#211 ·
apoint said:
Very interesting Spade, first you tell me Iv got a corvette bike with a VW engine but You don't know me or my racing friends, Now your telling me how strong a rider me an my buddies are and what we think. Next thing you will be telling us is your so lite you can walk on water. Racing is a year round thing where I live so we stay in racing shape. As I said before, in a race , the fly weights are usually the stragglers.
Racing year round is a nice way to plateau. Of course you knew that. Otherwise, no racers would live in Colorado.

#214 ·
PINAMAN83 said:
220lbs 6'1, im scared i'll crack my fp quattro
That frame is designed for guys like you.

#222 ·
spade2you said:
What rider weighs 85lbs?! At my ~120lbs with a 14lb bike, I'm generally about as light as it gets.
120lb fn lbs? Are you friggin kidding me? Look, by the picture, it appears that you're a fairly tall fellow. I'm 5'5 and I'm 7lbs heavier than you are. Eat something will you!!! Thanks for making feel like Baron Harkonnen from the movie Dune.

chl

#225 · (Edited)
~160lbs. 5'8", riding 54cm, 18.2lb. bike (without spares, ~19.5lb. with spares [not including water bottles])

(if it's not spinning, the weight of it doesn't matter all that much)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.