Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Your weight vs. Your bike's weight

108K views 483 replies 333 participants last post by  g3p 
#1 ·
Couldn't find this posted, so apologies if it's redundant.

This forum focuses on bike weight and every once in awhile someone talks about the losing a pound from the engine. I'm curious about the ratios of rider to bike weights on this forum.

Me- 180 lbs; 6' 1"
Bike- about 17.5
(yeah, we're pigs by some standards)

I don't think we need to qualify rider weight, but with the whole "do pedals count?" thing...

#287 ·
I have questions regarding your Motobecane Le Champion. Perhaps even better then a question, would you be interested in reviewing this bike on this post? I am interested in buying one and wanted to know what an owner thought of the bike, how long have they had it or how many miles have they put on it, and what they thought of Bikes Direct, and if you had to do it all over again would you buy that bike again, what do you think of the ride, the components, and frame quality, etc, etc.

I really apprecitate any comments you can give me. Thanks.

#290 ·
I'm currently 130lbs and the bike is 20lbs

#293 ·
Started 2011 (Jan 1st) at 242lbs, bike was 19lbs
After a major diet and lifestyle overhaul, working out, training and just building a new CF bike:
New bike is 15.8lbs, and I am 184 consistently (hit 181 once). Oh yeah, I am 6' 1-1/2" tall

let me say how much faster on a bike I am after losing 60lbs lol

#294 ·
Wow, you did some fast weight loss, congrats! I don't think you should lose anymore weight though, your 6' 1 1/2 inches and I believe the weight your at is ideal for your height. You get down too far and you'll lose energy and your cycling skills will drop off.

#295 ·
Thanks! Yeah, i am happy in the mid 180's now. I have also added a bunch of muscle (over 1" on arms and legs are much better too) and lost 4" on my waist. I haven't worn 32 pants since H.S. :)
Im almost 38 now but have been training with a few different clubs, one of is Sacramento State cycling team. I keep up with them now, even doing intervals at 27+mph, which makes me happy.

Sorry to jump off topic.

#299 ·
A whopping 23 pounds? My bikes average that! What's funny is I have friends who are not into cycling and they see my bikes and they all say after picking one up: "Wow is that bike is light!" And then I kind of laugh and tell them that bike I want to get weighs 5 to 6 pounds less, and they just drop their mouths. Then try to explain to them what's happening with weight on modern bikes is like trying to explain rocket science to them...it's kind of humorous!

#302 ·
Up until this year I was between 200-220 pounds. 2nd knee surgery motivated me to get lower I'm now 180. My bike for several years has been the same 17ish pounds. However the reduction of 40 pounds from me totally changed how I can ride, before as soon as the road began pointing up I was off the back, now I'm hanging with most of the climbers...totally unreal and I love it!

G
#305 · (Edited)
my weight: 125lb (5'6.5" tall)
road bike's weight: 20lb
hybrid (commuter bike): 26.5lb

the road bike at under 20% of my body weight is a considerable improvement over my beater hybrid which I was using before for everything. It feels way snappier though I credit:

better aerodynamics, lower drag wheels/tires, as all being more significant than the lower weight. I consider improved hubs/drivetrain components as on par with the weight improvement.

Interestingly, even though I'm a newbie, every time I walk into bike shops people assume I'm a much more serious/skilled cyclist than I actually because I'm so skinny. They figure I got that way from cycling a lot. This is actually my natural weight after basically doing nothing athletic and paying zero attention to diet for the last three years... when I used to run, I weighed 118. The last time I tried to gain weight (lifting) I failed -_-.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.