RoadBikeReview Member

My Scott - needs some opinion

Picture is my first road bike Scott Speedster S20 - Had the bike since July 07. I'm thinking of replacing the Handlebar Tape to a color Red and the tires to either the Continental Grand Prix 4000 in Red or the Michelin Pro 2 in Red also to add more color on the bike. wheelset will also be replace with the older Mavic SSC SL. Need some honest opinion. Thank You.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Are those pedals eggbeaters? I really like the Michelin Pro 2 tires--good reviews and real light. I think the red would look good. If you do get it, pls post a picture. You may help me decide.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes they are eggbeaters pedals .. I like the feel of a mt. bike shoes. I thinking of white handlebar tape or Red. I will post some pictures - I'm adding a few upgrades.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Hi, what size is your Scott S20? Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's a size 54cm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Nice bike! I have a 2007 S20 in white & red. All stock, though, w/crankbrothers' quattro SL pedals. Was the Mavic wheelset a huge upgrade from the Shimano?

RoadBikeReview Member
    cool this one i a 2006, I would say yes, smoother ride and lighter than the R550.

Cpark
    Here is my opinion on how to finish pimping your ride.

Red Conti 4000, Red tape, Red Fulcrum Zero and definitely red saddle....

Btw, nice looking ride even without making any changes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007

Just thought I'd post my S20

It's a 2007 and I replaced the seat with a specialized toupe and tires are michelin pro2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Scott - needs some opinion-s20-edit.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    nice ride .. wish they have the compact crankset for 06 so I don't have to replace mine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    I have a Tarmac with similar colors. Go with a black saddle with red accent and the Red Conti GP4000s

Also, I just finish this 2005 S1 Speedster build. I wanted to keep this one a little more plain-jane.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Scott - needs some opinion-speedster-s1.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007
    I think it would look mean with a set of Mavic Ksyrium ES's with the red hubs and single red spoke. I would do the bars in a silver microtex by Fizik to add a little flash. Then top it all off with a Fizik Arione wing flex in bright red/black. I would try to discourage the use of and colored rubber on the wheels, it always looks like you are trying to hard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Scott Speedster S20 (2006)

I have the same bike, including the CR1 fork, which I bought in August 2007. I have just swapped out the brake hoods and bar tape for red. I would have liked white bar tape and red hoods, but I thought the white tape would show too much dirt, etc. Pic is below.

BTW, the hoods are from a company in Boulder, CO. www.grabthehudz.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Scott - needs some opinion-scott-s20-red-1.jpg   My Scott - needs some opinion-scott-s20-red-2.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Red bar tape and hoods doesn't do it. It looks like your trying to hard. The Samsonite luggage under the seat... How much stuff do you need to carry.Is that a AM radio on H- bars
    lighter is better

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Nice ride, ive got an 06 S10 and love it. Id say do some white bartape and maybe even a white saddle. Do the Red michelin Pro3 tires... I love em so far and all the reviews have said theyre significantly better than the Pro2's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    How hard was it to change the hoods?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Changing hoods...

It wasn't that hard at all. With Shimano levers you have to unwrap the bars and remove the brake cable, then you just shimmy the original hoods off, and slide the "hudz" on. It takes a bit of effort, but the hoods are pretty pliable and I found that it helped to use a slight twisting motion.

Hope this helps.

- Robert

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    yeah, i'd probably go to the black tape with the red hudz. and I'd seriously consider getting a road shoe for road riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Road shoes...

Thanks for your opinion, but I do wear road shoes, and those are road pedals. Two-bolt cleats, but specific road pedals and shoes.