Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I have no ties with Seven. I ride a Scott. I have had in past a few Seven bikes and had very very good customer service (no penny pinching fee's).
    lighter is better

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I'm not sure if this post did much to tarnish Serotta's reputation. However, I am in the market to buy a bike and Serotta was on my list. After clicking into this sub-forum and seeing this thread on the very top, it doesn't do anything to reassure me about getting a Serotta.

Spokane, Washington
    Quote Originally Posted by peyo
    I'm not sure if this post did much to tarnish Serotta's reputation. However, I am in the market to buy a bike and Serotta was on my list. After clicking into this sub-forum and seeing this thread on the very top, it doesn't do anything to reassure me about getting a Serotta.
    So we've heard from one supposed "customer" of Serotta, with no other communication from him and you're going to discount Serotta for that? Serotta makes around 3,000 bikes a year and has been in business for over 30 years. One would think that if Serotta's rep, bikes or customer service were crap, you would certainly hear a lot more howls from customers. I've owned my fair share of Serottas and have enjoyed nothing but good customer service from them. There are many posts regarding great customer service on the Serotta forum ( www.serotta.com/forum )

Just because someone thinks they got the short end of the stick doesn't make it true.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by peyo
    Give me all the bikes on your list. I bet I can find a claim on every one that will shake your confidence enough not to buy the bike. And it won't take me very long either. Then where will you be.

I have experienced Serotta's warranty and service and I can say unequivocally that they did not even question my claim and did a miraculaous job to turn my frame around quickly and ship it overnight at no charge. And I would have not faulted them for not being able to come through in such a short time frame.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Serottas are an image bike. Wildly overpriced, they are. $9k for a custom carbon frame from a maker whose history is mostly steel and ti??? And their ti prices are silly given what other really good buiklders charge. Only nutjobs and egomaniacs buy those bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Image bike? Then you can stick to bikesdirect.com--- I'll happily ride my image bike, thank you very much.

I don't ride a Serotta, but a similarly marketed "image bike." Like many of the posters here (who are seven or eight years on theirs)--- these bikes offer lasting satisfaction. I would rather pay a few thousand extra for a bike I can ride for a decade without lusting after something newer and shinier.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance#8in09
    Serottas are an image bike. Wildly overpriced, they are. $9k for a custom carbon frame from a maker whose history is mostly steel and ti??? And their ti prices are silly given what other really good buiklders charge. Only nutjobs and egomaniacs buy those bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    From my own experience, Serotta stands behind their product and then some. I was the original owner of a titanium Legend which cracked right above the BB weld after 10 years of ownership/riding. I followed Serotta's warranty claim process and they replaced the frame with a custom built 2008 Legend SE... no questions and no hassles. And, I was given the same customization options (geometry, stays, TT slope, paint) given to a paying customer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As is the case with any article that comes with a lifetime warranty, you're paying for it. That's one reason Serotta bikes are so high priced - they have the warranty repairs/replacements figured in. Personally, I think a company that offers a lifetime warranty should offer it regardless of who owns the bike. There are a few that do this, like Calfee, although one has to pay a $250 inspection fee when purchased second hand in order to maintain this warranty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Serotta's "wildly overpriced"? Compared to what? Obviously you have never ridden one. The ti Heritage bike is about the best value in cycling.

I have worked in bike shops for many years and have seen just about every bike there is. I walked the aisles of Interbike this year looking at pretty much every road bike available -- dozens of cookie-cutter carbon sourced from China frames aka platforms. Yukkk. I've seen too many crashed carbon bikes -- snapped into pieces. These things don't bend. And if you crash it, you are supposed to replace it even if it looks okay. And the ride is sooo generic. Talk about overpriced -- they probably cost a tiny fraction of what they charge to produce. But the companies that market them have to buy a lot of advertising to convince people to buy them.

Other reputable ti frames are within a few hundred dollars, but Serotta just does it better. Cheaper ti frames are just that, cheap. I've been to the Serotta factory many times and know what goes into the design and production. Of all the bikes being sold -- Serottas are the furthest from overpriced.

Image bike? If you mean a terrific bike at a fair price, so be it.

banned
    As an owner of both a Serotta ('88 Phinney) and a Seven ('99 Axiom) I'll add to the fire. When I wanted a Ti version of my SLX tubed Serotta I thought it would be painless to have it duplicated by the original. At the time they easily $2000 more than a Seven and about $1000 more than a Merlin and we're talking just the frame and fork! While I love the way the Phinney rides, I didn't think the performance was based on the decal on the downtube. I was right. 9 years later I ride the Seven 100:1 versus the Phinney. Yup, 3 or 4 days a year is all the Phinney gets for road time.

Don't misunderstand me, neither brand will lose or win a race for any rider. Neither brand will get a rider thought the miles easier either. It's like arguing Ferrari vs Porsche. In the end it all comes down to what you want to pay and the brand's customer service.

banned
    Mar 2009
    edit.
    Last edited by king kong; 04-02-2009 at 04:27 PM.

banned
    Mar 2009
    edit.
    Last edited by king kong; 04-02-2009 at 04:35 PM.

banned
    Mar 2009
    edit.
    Last edited by king kong; 04-02-2009 at 04:32 PM.

banned
    Mar 2009
    edit.
    Last edited by king kong; 04-02-2009 at 04:28 PM.

banned
    Mar 2009
    delete. because it doesn't matter what we ride, it's as long as we do and like it or not we are all in this together.
    Last edited by Ardor; 04-03-2009 at 06:16 PM.

banned
    Mar 2009
    edit.
    Last edited by king kong; 04-02-2009 at 04:34 PM.

banned
    Mar 2009
    no hard feelings, none whatsoever.
    Last edited by king kong; 04-02-2009 at 06:37 PM.

zac
    Quote Originally Posted by sevencycle
    If the "Serotta is waiting for a $125 check for warranty evaluation" is true that is a cheeseball charge. High end bikes should have high end customer service. If true try SEVEN Cycles.
    Not only cheeseball, illegal in some states. Failure to clearly disclose fees and charges (upfront and on original warranty) in association with a warranty claim violates consumer protection laws in many states, and if I am not mistaken, including their home state of New York, (but I could be wrong in NY). Failure to correspond with the claimant/LBS in a timely manner is just poor customer service.

I have only heard good things about Serotta, and this doesn't tarnish that. But it certainly is something that will always stick in the back of your mind.

One of my primary reasons for being a customer of a particular brand is customer service. I have been a loyal customer of several manufacturers for many decades simply based on their exceptional service and attentiveness to customers (me and my company in particular), despite the fact that there may be better/less expensive somewhere else.

zac

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by king kong
    very glad you posted that, create a stir. they need it along with a swift kick in the arse imo.

not willing to help the underdog cycling enthusiast out in any way over there. all of their high end bike owners and such proved my point exactly, why i can't stand people who buy into cycling and it is all my privelage to blow them out of the water come race time. heck, come ride time for that matter.

those serotta forum people were rude, childishly and schoolyard gang bullying anyone who wasn't one of them and i looked to them eagerly and with enthusiasm because i thought that they would be of a helping nature, of the true spirit of cycling. i was dead wrong. so if that is the case which it is, thank you very much but i'll remain true to cycling and avoid serotta altogether.

names? ti designs, ray, scottcw2, Dumblebeedave, frankwurst, flick, false_aest, garysol1 and dekindy for a few. and the serotta pete didn't help this matter even after i said on their forum that i was impressed with him as a builder/volunteer/ whatnot over there. a breath of fresh air in my past opinion, key word past. and on that same note i will say that as with any kind of cycling enthusiast and forum, there are some very good and willing to help and intelligent people there as well, it's just too bad that they aren't the head honchos.

it's a disgrace to cycling and humanity how they treat people, not once caring to help unless you were interested in a serotta which obviously now i'll never be as serotta does not mean better than anyone else, try as they might. doctors and lawyers and the treated triple treat? i'd rather mow grass than lose my self respect.

it was a shock to the human alignment of body and soul to discover just how sick this company is, how weak, how transparent and non individual. krist, they should all be on plastic tricycles, that would suit them better.

the name is Preston Jonathan and i stand by cycling for all it is and that excludes serotta now and forever more.

not that my opinion is going to tarnish their reputation, right? goOd, that isn't the plan, it's just nice to be on a forum in which doesn't hide the truth, a good old fashioned American forum where democracy rules. they should move their shop and internet provider to Russia as that would suit them better.

when they get a first place with nothing but good intent, i'll possibly change my opinion but i'm not holding my breath.

goodbye forever serotta. and please remove all of my posts from your forum, it is for true cyclists only. you know, the caring kind. oh wait, then you wouldn't know.
    what specifically happened that turned you off of the serotta forum? as for me, i got banned from their forum!!! hehe! they all got their panties in a bunch after i started a thread regarding a lady's blog/rant about davidson ti. during the course of the post, i said that serottas were very nice frames ...however imho, they were overpriced (one of their members who has a legend ti as well as 7 other high-end ti frames from the best names out there agreed with me in a pm.) still, i harbor no ill feelings wrt serotta the bike- i would love to own one but not willing to pay for a new one. maybe, i'll pick up a used one year old serotta ti frame for about a 1/4 of the cost of a new one on ebay one day. as for their little click, the serotta forum and its members, i would rate most of the guys on their forum as good people, but a few of those guys (some of them are frequent posters here on rbr) are such pansies.
    Last edited by Ride-Fly; 04-02-2009 at 05:52 AM.

banned
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardor
    delete. because it doesn't matter what we ride, it's as long as we do and like it or not we are all in this together.

and let's not forget our origins, our basics, our beginnings, our humanity.

banned
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardor
    now that's a quality read.

i like how you think so it must be true, great minds think alike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride-Fly
    what specifically happened that turned you off of the serotta forum? as for me, i got banned from their forum!!! hehe! they all got their panties in a bunch after i started a thread regarding a lady's blog/rant about davidson ti. during the course of the post, i said that serottas were very nice frames ...however imho, they were overpriced (one of their members who has a legend ti as well as 7 other high-end ti frames from the best names out there agreed with me in a pm.) still, i harbor no ill feelings wrt serotta the bike- i would love to own one but not willing to pay for a new one. maybe, i'll pick up a used one year old serotta ti frame for about a 1/4 of the cost of a new one on ebay one day. as for their little click, the serotta forum and its members, i would rate most of the guys on their forum as good people, but a few of those guys (some of them are frequent posters here on rbr) are such pansies.
    King Kong references me in the group he was unhappy with at the Serotta forum. Often I accept gripes at face value only to find that the facts presented are totally inaccurate. Based upon my experience with Serotta and the situations that I have personal knowledge of, I don't even need to see the thread referenced to know that fi I did not sympathize with the complaint about Serotta then the claim is probably unfounded. It has been my impression that althought not perfect, the Serotta forum and Serotta_Pete are the best that I have encountered on the internet at welcoming and helping forum members. Sure they have there quirks, but who doesn't? Compared to everyone else they are the best IMHO.

BTW - Recent threads critical of Serotta were allowed to go on forever and in my experience anybody banned from the Serotta forum deserves it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dekindy
    BTW - Recent threads critical of Serotta were allowed to go on forever and in my experience anybody banned from the Serotta forum deserves it.
    that is the thing- i did not criticize serotta. the only thing i said was that they were a bit overpriced in my humble opinion. i stated that i thought they were very nice frames but i couldn't understand why they were so much more than just about any other ti maker out there. anyhow, i am sure that is not what got me banned. i wrote about davidson ti out of seattle and a lady's blog about her dealings with bill davidson. one guy here (and on the serotta forum- lifelover- even accused me of being in collusion with this lady who lodged the complaints and started her campaign against bill davidson. of course i got defensive. even started a little cursing as i did not take kindly to those accusations. maybe that is what got me banned. no biggie as i am not missing that board. like i have said, i would love to have a serotta legend ti as well as a seven aerios, bill holland ti, carl strong ti, moots vamoots, eriksen ti, and titus fcr ti. i have a new found sickness for ti.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I've had mine since 2004 and had no problems at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12