RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007

Sizing for a Fierte compared to Others

Hello;
    I have been looking for a new road bike. I mostly mountain bike so my knowledge is limited in the road world. Anyway I have been test riding bikes. So far I have tried a Sworks Roubaix SL(didn't like), a Bianchi Penella(liked) and Lynskey(liked) But I have been really interested in the Fierte. Everything I have tried has been in the 52-53cm range. When I look at the Serotta's geometry number a 52 appears small to me. Am I reading it right. I guess what I am referencing is the seatube dimension. Should I be looking at something larger that would be comparable to the Bianchi and Lynskey?
    Thanks for any input.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Haystack Calhoun
    Hello;
    I have been looking for a new road bike. I mostly mountain bike so my knowledge is limited in the road world. Anyway I have been test riding bikes. So far I have tried a Sworks Roubaix SL(didn't like), a Bianchi Penella(liked) and Lynskey(liked) But I have been really interested in the Fierte. Everything I have tried has been in the 52-53cm range. When I look at the Serotta's geometry number a 52 appears small to me. Am I reading it right. I guess what I am referencing is the seatube dimension. Should I be looking at something larger that would be comparable to the Bianchi and Lynskey?
    Thanks for any input.
    The short answer is no.

The Fierte has a sloping top tube. Bikes with sloping top tubes have short seat tubes compared to their equivalent level top tube peers. This means a lower standover height compared to an equivalent level top tube bike. My Legend has a level top tube and a 59cm seat post while my 58cm Fierte had a 52cm seat post. In addition to the lower standover height more seat post may mean less road vibration if you use a carbon seat post. Also this design has the possibility of a higher head tube for a more upright riding position and the Fierte takes advantage of that to some extent.

I transferred my components from the Fierte to the Legend and they are set up with the exact same contact point measurements. Note the difference in seat post exposure. The same seat post is on both bikes. The letters are just barely exposed on the Legend (bare titanium-bottom picture) while there is a lot of black below the letters (Arancio Fierte-top picture).

I hope that helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sizing for a Fierte compared to Others-fierte-small.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dekindy; 04-21-2009 at 07:28 PM.