Thread: Axiom vs. ID8

RoadBikeReview Member

Axiom vs. ID8

Hey there.
    I've been riding a '99 Axiom ti Signature Series since '00. I rebuilt it in '05, but now I'm really thinking of going with a custom.
    My husband just got a custom ID8 in February and LOVES it. Yeah, perhaps it's a bit of keeping up with the DH, but I also have a herniated disc in my neck that I think may be more comfy with a custom fit.
    I'm just not sure if I should got a new Axiom SG or an ID8.
    My husband likes really stiff frames, and Seven really hit the nail on the head for him with the frame. I personally find his bike TOO stiff and like something a little more, um...forgiving. So I have 2 basic questions:

First, what would an ID8 give me over the Axiom? It seems like everyone at the shop (they sell 35 or so a year) is getting ID8's and loving them, but I don't know if it would give me any benefit over full ti. I love my Axiom and really only want a custom fit.

Second part of my question: Should I get a full build or just frame/fork/headset and transfer my parts over from the old bike? The group is full DA with an FSA SLK compact crank and I love it. Since I intend to sell the old Axiom, would I be better off selling the whole bike, or piecing it out?

Thanks for your thoughts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I would go with the Axiom SG. I think adding carbon tubes to a Ti frame is mostly marketing. You add a metal/carbon interface that has been known to come loose on many frames, don't know how the Seven versions have been though. IMO you are just adding expense and taking away reliability. Either way, I'm sure Seven can design a frame that does what you want. The Axiom SG series gives you a wider range of ride types than the ID8.

Tim McTeague

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006

ID8 experience

Riding an ID8 for over a year now and find it perfect. Comfortable after all they build to your specs and wishes as you know. No problem at all with the carbon seat tube or chain stays. Wouldnt trade it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks all.
    I can really see the pros - and the cons - of both.
    I, too, wonder about mixing tube materials. But I know lots of very happy customers.
    Gah!
    You'd think this would be easy, right?