RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006

Carbon discoloration on Odonata

I have been offered a 4 yr old Odonata with discoloration of the carbon tubes on seat stays and forks - is this an issue? Has anyone else experienced similar? Should I be concerned?

Name:  seven1.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  16.1 KB Name:  seven2.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  15.4 KB
    Last edited by toonraid; 02-05-2007 at 07:51 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    discoloration or carbon weave? those pictures don't do much to show the problem. it could be discolored from corrosive road elements or body fluids like sweat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    I am sure its nor carbon weave or sweat as no one sweats that much and if they do it won't be over rear stays! Here is a couple of close ups.
    Name:  seven3.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  15.3 KB Name:  seven4.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  16.6 KB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

Here's a brand new Seven. Unless your pictures are showing something different, it appears to be the mottled pattern inherent in the carbon tubes used by Seven.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    i know what he is referring to. it's either sweat or corrosive road elements. it's just bubbling in the clear coat and it's not functional. aesthetically unpleasing on such an expensive bike, but not functional. i have friends with "corrosive sweat" that leaves such marks but probably not on seat stays.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    If that's the case its a bit discouraging on such an expensive bike as I feel quality should rank as high as design & performance!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    don't buy one then. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks Roseyscot .... I took your advice and didn't buy it - I guess 2 Colnagos & 2 looks are enough besides don't really fancy carrying scotchbrite & furniture polish in my saddlebag.

The owner said Seven gave him this advice ....
    "Thank you for contacting Seven Cycles. The discoloration of the carbon tubing is usually caused by one or more of the following:
    - acidic body fluids
    - contamination from drinking fluids
    - road debris and wet conditions

You can use ultra fine Scotchbrite to polish the graying area. Your local hardware store should have the ultra fine Scotchbrite available. 3M sells it. After polishing the area, use a wax based furniture polish such as Pledge to shine up the tube again."

I did contact Seven directly and this was their reply (same day response which was impressive) ...
    " It seems to be fine but I'm really not sure. Maybe you can show it to your local bike shop and see if they have any opinions. Even if they don't sell Seven they're probably experienced enough to help assess any concerns."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

you need 303

calfee said to us 303 on nube carbon. It can be used on any surface to protect it from uv. Its suncreen for you carbon. All carbon will yellow due to the uv rays from the sun. Some clear coats use uv some dont. They have a a website. google 303