RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011

Elium SL or Axiom SL

I'm getting ready to order a Seven, but having a hard time deciding between the Elium SL or Axiom SL. I'm 6'0", 180lbs and my riding consist of endurance rides and fast group rides. The endurance rides (60%) are typically 50-80 miles with several centuries during the season. The group rides (40%) are 20-40 miles at an average speed of 22mph.

My current bike is a 2009 Specialized Roubaix Comp. I'm looking for a bike that will give me the comfort for my endurance rides, but will get up and scream when I need it as well corner through turns/curves at speed.

There cost difference between the two is $200 so I'm taking that out of the equation. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Wayne
    2009 Specialized Roubaix Comp
    2012 Campy Chorus
    HED Belgium C2 Wheels
    DT Swiss Hubs
    Michelin Pro Optimums

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Good choices. Tough call. The advantage I can think of in going with Elium SL is weight - 0.3 lbs lighter on the average than Axiom SL. The advantage of Axiom is probably the larger latitude in terms of how you want your bike to perform.

Seven can make either bike perform the way you want it - be it more stiffer, more vertical compliant, comfort, etc. They vary tube sizing and geometry based on a long list of questions about your existing bike, health history, physical attributes, and others.

Typically, mixed Ti/carbon equates to endurance rides, all Ti to hard rides.

Reliability-wise, Seven has been doing both mixed Ti/carbon and all Ti for a decade and a half now so they have a lot of experience working with those materials.

Formosan Cyclocross
    I agree with TopQuark above.

The Axiom SL would have the advantage of durability if you ever lay the bike down or simply ding a tube.

No matter what, you are going to get a great bike.

RoadBikeReview Member

Elium SL or Axiom SL

If you are to follow Seven's advice on usage then the Axiom SL meets all of your requirements for fast group rides and endurance rides while the Elium SL is categorized for fast group rides.
    Personally, I'm doing double centuries on my Axiom SL and find it very comfortable, mainly because of the fit, although it was spec'd more towards the racing spectrum.
    On the other hand, your AMS of 22mph on group rides of 20-40 miles puts you in the AA category so you could benefit from a lighter bike if you do pace lines and need to stay tight with the group.
    Either way you go you will have to make compromises. On the bright side, at your riding level you know what you prefer so the choice should be easier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    If you plan on putting the bike on a trainer, stick with the Axiom. Seven say the carbon tube models will void the warranty if used on a trainer that clamps the rear wheel.

Tim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks to all of you that replied. After reading your suggestions, talking with my fitter and Seven I decided to order the Elium SL. Seven said they would be able to build my bike to give me the endurance comfort I'm looking for and the stiffness/aggressiveness for my fast group rides.

Again, Thanks!!
    2009 Specialized Roubaix Comp
    2012 Campy Chorus
    HED Belgium C2 Wheels
    DT Swiss Hubs
    Michelin Pro Optimums