RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012

My weight loss reward a new Seven

First a little backstory. At the beginning of the year I made a deal with my wife that if I could drop 40 lbs (230 to 190) and maintain it for a year I could get any brand new bike I want. This morning I weigh 223.8 and my progress is slower then I wanted. I know I am not buying anything for over a year but I am kind of crazy and I want to start planning the bike now!

I have two reasons why I am posting on here first I want to get peoples opinions on what bike they would recommend for me. Secondly I want to use post my progress overtime and use this to keep my motivation up!

I consider myself of an "endurance" rider. Currently my longest is 100mi but my goal is to keep increasing my lengths and RAIN is a goal for me with in the next two years. The only race I will do with this bike is Race the Lake which is a 90mi race around Lake Winnebago. Otherwise my rides are for exercise (either solo or with my wife) and weekend tours such as the Door County Century.

Today I ride Cannondale Carbon Synapse with handbuilt wheels. The 3 Seven bikes at the top of my list are the 622 SLX, Axiom SLX & Axiom SL but I don't know what the best is for me. It gets even harder to decide since I know Seven can customize all of them to ride how I want.

I know the 622 is more of a race bike but it has to be the best looking bike EVER and that is the reason I want it. The weight savings is nice but not a requirement. The only reason I would consider the Axiom SLX over SL is the weight though but I am concerned that Seven would need to beef up the SLX for me and I would be paying a lot extra for nothing really. I do feel like the Axioms are more bombproof than 622 SLX which is a plus to the Axiom.

The other big decision I have up from is rim brakes vs disc brakes. I am personally not sold on disc brakes on a road bike yet but I would really like other peoples opinions. I am struggling to decide between another aluminum handbuilt wheel set or a set of ENVE SES 3.4. I feel if I go with ENVE's I would need disc brakes since I have been told rim brakes stink with carbon fiber rims.

The groupset will be Dura-Ace or RED but I want to see the new SRAM 22 before I get excited about either groupset.

One last little note cost not a high priority for this build I just want the best option for me and my goals. If I can save money all the better but if the 622 SLX is bar none the best bike the extra cost wouldn't bother me.

I am look forward to hearing eveyones opinions and let me know if you have any questions about my rambling. I will check in often with how the weight loss is coming.

Thanks,
    Tony

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Be advised that the Axiom SLX has a weight limit of 200 lbs, the 622 is 240lbs. I have the 622 and it is not really a race bike. Seven can make it suit just about any kind of riding. If you think you will end up near 200 lbs I would stick with the Axiom SL. Even if you went with the SLX they would have to use thicker tubes that would negate any weight savings. Talk to them, you will be sure to get great advice.

Tim

RoadBikeReview Member
    With such a blank slate and so much time to decide I would start looking into other builders as well, even different materials. Stainless is becoming more popular, and has many of the same benefits of Ti, but slightly different (neither better or worse) qualities. Beyond that, there are so many great builders that specialize in either a certain type of construction (lugged, brazed, TIG) or a certain style of bike.

Looking at what is out there can give you an idea of how you might want to use your bike in the long run. Will you convert it to a commuter in a few years and want to run a front rack? If so, you need to consider that during the design phase. What size tires would you like to run? Do you want a frame pump peg for those long rides in the middle of nowhere? To me, these are the fun things to consider. The builder can nail down the geometry based on your desires, you get to pick the fun stuff. One of the best things about custom bikes is that two bikes can do the same thing effectively while looking and feeling completely different, like the two race ready cross bikes below.

I find that it is best to tell a trusted builder what you want the bike to do, and let them tell you how best to get there. If will also help you identify quickly which builders fit your style. If you start with a builder that has your aesthetic already it will be easy to trust that you will like the outcome visually. Seven may be the builder for you, but if you also look at builders like Firefly, Mosaic, Spectrum and Kelson (all of whom work in Ti or Ti/Carbon blends) you should come away with a better idea what your ideal bike could be. Talking with all of your potential builders is a great learning experience because you will get a feel for their personalities.

I would also recommend finding a builder excited to build your bike using their knowledge. Don't ask Richard Sachs to build you a compact Ti bike, or Crumpton to build you a CroMo commuter. When I mentioned doing a stainless rear triangle to my builder he instantly started researching the best options and called me back the next day basically saying that he stayed up at night thinking about all of the options that opened up.

All that to say, I think you are making a good choice starting the design process now, but don't limit yourself. Look at everything out there, you will quickly learn how little you know, but it will help you ask intelligent questions of your future builder and help you give answers that the builder can use. HTH and all that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deftone86 View Post
    I feel if I go with ENVE's I would need disc brakes since I have been told rim brakes stink with carbon fiber rims.
    No longer the case. Modern carbon rims give up very little to aluminum when it comes to braking, except in the wet. Even then, with good pads they are still function well enough, mine can still cause my wheels to lock, though with far more effort. The big downside to carbon at this point is the inability of carbon clinchers do deal with extreme braking heat due to long descents or repeated hard stops. If you live in a more or less flat area this should not be a concern at all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A couple of thoughts: at 190 lbs, I'd say you can't go wrong with the Axiom SL; not sure there is any advantage to the SLX. With respect to disc brakes, go for it. Remember you are buying a classic frame that should last you a long long time; if disc brakes aren't quite "there" yet, they will be before you want to replace the frame. Same story goes with groupset - I would recommend you have the frame made Di2/EPS ready, even if you start mechanical.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks everyone so far with the great input and first of the Axiom SLX is off the list. I have started looking a different builders but right the now reason I have been looking at Seven is my LBS is a dealer for them and they are doing a really good job convincing me it is the best option right wrong or indifferent (I know it is their job to sell me one of there brands).

Now I am even more excited about the 622 if it is less of a race bike then I feel they push it one the Seven website. I have thought about putting on rack mounts and what not because if I want to get into endurance rides and randonneuring those things would be critical but I'm such a weirdo I think it hurts the aesthetics of the bike. I am glad to here the ENVE rims stop well. Finally Di2/EPS I would love to get they new Dura-Ace Di2 my biggest concern with it is reliability long term and replacing parts constantly. I am an engineer that design toilets for a living and see what happens from a reliability when you add electronics has me a little nervous. I feel it is kind of analogous of going from the relatively simple mechanical system to complex Di2/EPS but I do think it is AWESOME technology. Part the part replacement issue for me is last year my 4-5 month old SRAM force rear derailleur just exploded on me in the middle of a ride I was shifting or anything. My point being to go replace it was like $150 not cheap but not breaking the bank now if that was a Di2/EPS with the same situation I am spending 3 to 4 times that amount.

Thanks for all the help so far!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks everyone so far with the great input and first of the Axiom SLX is off the list. I have started looking a different builders but right the now reason I have been looking at Seven is my LBS is a dealer for them and they are doing a really good job convincing me it is the best option right wrong or indifferent (I know it is their job to sell me one of there brands).

Now I am even more excited about the 622 if it is less of a race bike then I feel they push it one the Seven website. I have thought about putting on rack mounts and what not because if I want to get into endurance rides and randonneuring those things would be critical but I'm such a weirdo I think it hurts the aesthetics of the bike. I am glad to here the ENVE rims stop well. Finally Di2/EPS I would love to get they new Dura-Ace Di2 my biggest concern with it is reliability long term and replacing parts constantly. I am an engineer that design toilets for a living and see what happens from a reliability when you add electronics has me a little nervous. I feel it is kind of analogous of going from the relatively simple mechanical system to complex Di2/EPS but I do think it is AWESOME technology. Part the part replacement issue for me is last year my 4-5 month old SRAM force rear derailleur just exploded on me in the middle of a ride I was shifting or anything. My point being to go replace it was like $150 not cheap but not breaking the bank now if that was a Di2/EPS with the same situation I am spending 3 to 4 times that amount.

I wasn't saying necessarily you should put Di2 on the bike now - more like your thought of adding rack mounts in case you want to get into endurance rides later, just ask them to make the frame Di2 ready for internal wiring. That way if you decide down the road that you want to go electronic, your frame doesn't have to be retrofitted (which, I found out, is pretty expensive). Enjoy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    If you want rack mounts, scratch the 622 SLX off the list; Seven won't do them on the carbon models. If you want a Seven, and will be around 200 lbs, I still think the Axiom SL is your best bet. I have one of those as well as the 622.

Even though I am a loyal Seven customer I think Firefly is worth checking out as well. But, if you have a store you like, and they carry Seven, stick with them!
    Tim

RoadBikeReview Member

My weight loss reward a new Seven

I'm reading your post and can't stop thinking that you seem to approaching this from the wrong angle. IMO, the main benefit of a custom bike is the way it is made to handle and match your riding preferences and not whether the frame is a faction of a lb lighter than the next.
    Decide how you want the bike to handle; you want it to hold the line through a curve or you want it to be adaptable to easy corrections in the middle of the turn?
    Do you want it to be super stable on high speed descents and you don't mind if it slightly veers off on low speed climbs unless you hold it in line? Or is it the opposite? You can't have both!
    You mentioned possible rando duty. Front bag? If so, trail will need to be different than a bike designed not to be front loaded.
    What tires? Are you happy with 25mm or 28mm or you want the 32 or 35mm in the 700c wheel size? Is 650b a consideration? Fenders? Fork choices will be vastly different depending which you choose and that will help you pick the right frame for it.
    These are some of the questions you need to come in terms with to optimize the bike for your intended use.
    As far as the groupo goes, Di2 is here to stay and is reliable as anything. My Axiom SL has the Ultegra Di2 and has been absolutely trouble free and absent of any adjustments for 6000miles so far. My favorite carbon bike has DA 7900, my other carbon has the 105. They all work fine with the mechanicals in need of some periodic adjustments to keep shifting in top shape; the electronic does not. My next bike will have electronic shifting so I may not be as purist as others but it works!
    If you go with the Enve carbon rims don't worry about rim issues due to brake heat. I have the Enve 45 and they have been flawless. The real question though is why you want carbon rims and that may be the subject of another post.

Seeking shades of grey
    Finally Di2/EPS I would love to get they new Dura-Ace Di2 my biggest concern with it is reliability long term and replacing parts constantly. I am an engineer that design toilets for a living and see what happens from a reliability when you add electronics has me a little nervous. I feel it is kind of analogous of going from the relatively simple mechanical system to complex Di2/EPS but I do think it is AWESOME technology.
    I'm coming around to appreciating electronic shifting precisely for its simplicity. Take a look at the mechanical scheme under a shifter hood and you begin to wonder how it works so well for so long. It makes watch making look easy.

If we really wanted simple we would go with single speed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I dream of the 622!