Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Odonata or Axiom?

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Jdub 
#1 ·
Hey all you Seven junkies, help me out here.

I've been through my fitting and gotten my suggested design specs back from Seven's fitter, but I'm still struggling with which frame to go with. I've ridden an Axiom (unfortunately a little large) and it was very nice, but I haven't been able to get on an Odonata for comparison. No one in my area seems to stock a smallish Odonata. They don't even have one at the factory in Watertown (I'm in Boston). I'm leaning towards the Axiom at this point for long term durability and overall capability, but part of me is still wondering about the Odonata. I feel like I need to put that bug to rest before I commit.

Price is not an issue ... not that anyone considering a Seven could ever really say price is important.

Here's my deal in a nutshell if it helps you point in one direction or another.
5'8" fairly "normal" proportions
150 to 155 lbs

I've been riding for a long time... over 15 years, but I've never done any racing.
I am thinking of maybe doing some local racing here and there, but nothing major.
The vast majority of riding is club riding in the 50 - 70 mile range. Nightly rides during the week of 30 to 40 miles. Then some longer weekend rides and the occassional Century or multi day charity type ride. Generally I average around 150 miles a week outside of the dead of winter when I stick to the rollers. Longest event might be a two day double century kind of thing.

Most of my riding is on the fairly rough roads in Boston and then the rolling suburban areas outside the city. Not too many hills on my weeknight evening rides. Oddly enough I'm a climbing junky though and love doing hilly rides whenever possible. Head up to NH and VT every so often for that. Plus I generally take the bike outwest a couple times a year to ride in CO or SF with friends. So I want a good solid (not dedicated just solid) climbing bike as well.

I'm coming off a Klein Q Race so I don't want something that is going to feel dead either. I like the liveliness of the Klein but abhore the abuse it puts on my body after about 60 miles. It's not a great descender either.

Need any other info.

See less See more
#2 ·
I personally went with straight Ti instead of the Ti-Carbon mix. I was told that if the carbon was damaged, they could fix it (ie: replace the carbon part)... but it seemed to me that Ti is virtually indestructible and it would be one less thing to worry about.

Plus, the Odonata is comparable in price to the Alta, and the Alta weighs less. I know you're considering the Axiom instead, but if you're going to pay more for the Odonata, you might as well consider the Alta, which is priced at $100 more.

I was trying to decide between the Alaris, Axiom and the Alta. I was going to go mid-range, but then figured I might as well scrape up an extra $700 and go with the best I could buy.

#3 ·
vonteity said:
I personally went with straight Ti instead of the Ti-Carbon mix. I was told that if the carbon was damaged, they could fix it (ie: replace the carbon part)... but it seemed to me that Ti is virtually indestructible and it would be one less thing to worry about.

Plus, the Odonata is comparable in price to the Alta, and the Alta weighs less. I know you're considering the Axiom instead, but if you're going to pay more for the Odonata, you might as well consider the Alta, which is priced at $100 more.

I was trying to decide between the Alaris, Axiom and the Alta. I was going to go mid-range, but then figured I might as well scrape up an extra $700 and go with the best I could buy.
The guys at Seven steered me away from the Alta and the Elium because they didn't think they could give me the right drivetrain rigidity and handling I was looking for. Especially coming off the Klein. He also felt I was a shade on the heavy side for the Alta so the weight advantage would be negligible after they built up the tube set for my weight and ride characteristics. In his opinion I'd be paying a lot extra for not much gain.

FYI ... this kind of feedback and openness sealed the deal on Seven for me. They easilly could have sold me on the Elium or Alta but didn't think I'd be as happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.