RoadBikeReview Member

Picking up Axiom SL soon -what to do?

I expect to pick up my new Axiom SL next Friday at the end of the day and I have a century ride the Sunday following. I will only have the bike two days (1 full day if you exclude Friday) before the century. I am worried that my body will not be used to the new bike which could potentially result in an injury. Should I ride my new seven or use my current bike, which is a C'dale Carbon Synapse 5 and also well suited for the ride?
    Peace!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Ride the Seven. Set it up exactly like the Cannondale. Set it up so close that you can't tell which bike you are on. I think you'll really like ti.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I dont understand your concern. Isn't the Seven made to fit you exactly?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    I dont understand your concern. Isn't the Seven made to fit you exactly?
    Yes. It is custom fit, which is why I would expect not to have any issues. However, I think that even with the custon fit, there might be some differences from my current set up and given the long distance this might lead to a problem. In theory there should not be any issue I suppose. The suggestion of setting it up just like the Cannondale is a good one.

In the end I don't think I can ride my other bike for the century when I have this new incredible machine at my disposal.
    Peace!

RoadBikeReview Member
    The way you are describing your situation it appears you did not demo Seven's geometry before you signed the final paperwork.
    Typically the fit dimensions they give you represent the nominal range for your contact points. Raising or lowering the saddle somewhat, adjusting the saddle fore-aft and maybe slightly altering the stack height can be expected if it improves your comfort level. However, none of these adjustments should represent a major deviation from your fit numbers. If they do, the fitting is not accurate.
    I believe that two 30 or 40 mile ridesin succession ought to be plenty to optimally tweek your fit numbers assuming you are allready comfortable on the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was fitted on a fit bike at Signature so the process was a little different than what others describe. I am confident the geometry will be fit to me. Unfortunately if the bike is finished on Friday I will only have Saturday to tinker around with the saddle height, and other things. Signature will, of course, make adjustments with me on the bike before I leave the shop and I probably won't mess too much with things unless I feel uncomfortable.
    Peace!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think you will be SHOCKED how much more comfortable the Seven is over your Cannondale. And remember, matching seat height is not rocket science. Just get a few good miles in on Saturday, and I guarantee you are on the Seven on Sunday.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JELLIOT View Post
    I was fitted on a fit bike at Signature so the process was a little different than what others describe.
    Based on my experience at that shop, the bike will fit you like a glove when you walk out the door.

I had a fitting with them several months ago (and will eventually order a Seven from them) and they got the set-up just right. I rode a metric century two days later and my bike was noticeably more comfortable and I did not "miss" the way the bike had been set up prior to the adjustments.

Just ride it. When in doubt, you could ask the team at Signature what they would do in your situation. AFAIK, they all ride and I think you can rely on their advice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    I had a similar experience, century the following week the arrival of my seven. I road my old bike.

It took me a few weeks (of the smallest changes) to dial in all of the contact points. Moving from Shimano to SRAM hoods took me a bit to get those arranged exactly to my liking. I had a bit of concern that my cables would stretch out, but that never happened, as they did a great job at assembling them.

Yes the Seven ride quality is amazing, I'm shocked at how good I feel after a century.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So which bike did you ride?
    OBEY THE RULES
    Rule #5
    H.T.F.U.
    Rule #9
    If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tipstall View Post
    So which bike did you ride?
    I rode the Seven, and I am glad I did. I was definitely tired and sore, but it had nothing to do with the bike. It felt very comfortable. I did the Gran Fondo NY in May and I felt much worse after that race. Lots of soreness in my shoulders. The Seven is amazing. It corners better than anything I have ever ridden, and it just transfers power better. I find it more rigid and responsive than my carbon Synapse. So far very pleased, and if a century is not a good test then I don't know what is.. Thanks for everyone's advice.

I also got Ultegra di2 on the Seven and that performed well. Shifts under load, and shifts quickly. Happy with that decision, although it added a lot of costs.

I would post pictures, but I can't figure it out from an iPad. My laptop is broken, but once I get it working I will post pics.
    Peace!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Glad to hear you're happy with Ultegra. Signature isn't bashful about recommending it, even though they might make more money from selling the bike with DA. I respect them for that; I'd rather put the difference into wheels or save the money altogether.